Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 shift problems from 1 into 2.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 shift problems from 1 into 2.

I'm looking to buy a 2000 SS, 6spd, 110k miles, putting out 500hp at the crank/440 to the ground. Supposedly has a spec stage 3 clutch disc and a spec stage 2 pressure plate. Factory gm master/slave cylinders. Guy said that shifting from 1 into 2 sometimes requires "double clutching" as he put it. He also said that the clutch engages very close to the floor, like 1/2 inch to be exact. My questions are

1.) Can a stage 3 disc be paired with a stage 2 pressure plate?
2.) Is this combination causing the shifting problems?
3.) Is the master/slave assembly causing the problem?
4.) Or am I looking at a tranny rebuild and new clutch install?

I don't want to drive 3.5 hrs, buy this car, and have to rebuild a major component like the tranny. Having to install a new clutch, I can handle.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Is it priced to consider the fact the new owner is going to need to fix an unknown transmission issue that may include removing the trans and buying some parts?

If it just needed to be bled or flushed you would think the seller would do that so the car would shift properly so he can sell it and move on...in other words you should assume the worst while hoping its simple and the seller isn't willing to put in the effort to fix it , either way if the problem hasn't been diagnosed you need the purchase price to reflect a worst case scenario.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
Is it priced to consider the fact the new owner is going to need to fix an unknown transmission issue that may include removing the trans and buying some parts?

If it just needed to be bled or flushed you would think the seller would do that so the car would shift properly so he can sell it and move on...in other words you should assume the worst while hoping its simple and the seller isn't willing to put in the effort to fix it , either way if the problem hasn't been diagnosed you need the purchase price to reflect a worst case scenario.
Exactly what I was going to say. Assume you will need to remove(labor cost) buy gm parts and reinstall (labor cost again). Best case you just need to bleed, but why wouldn't the seller just do that.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
Exactly what I was going to say. Assume you will need to remove(labor cost) buy gm parts and reinstall (labor cost again). Best case you just need to bleed, but why wouldn't the seller just do that.
Thanks for the back up lol.

Also if I were negotiating with the guy I would put it to him just this way "hey if it was a simple fix you probably would have already done it so I need to assume the worst"

You can question someone and still be polite and non accusational just ask him to put himself in your shoes and hopefully you can get it at worst case price and through research on here fix it with an adjustable master , bleeding,etc... Knowledge is power lol
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I'm assuming that the tranny will need to be rebuilt and a new clutch installed but not sure how much that's gonna cost. $2500 maybe?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the unknown. Try tick performance rebuilds. They have good pricing and no downtime if you can't wait.

Sent from my HTC One VX using IB AutoGroup
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can do the work yourself you can get a good clutch and a good rebuild for under $2500. Stage 2 rebuild with new bearings is $1520 at Tick and then a new clutch would be around $750ish for everything.

Quick Reply: T56 shift problems from 1 into 2.