Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch master bleeding with power bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clutch master bleeding with power bleeder

I have read hundreds of posts about bleeding my clutch system. When I installed my new master I did a bench bleed before I installed it. You still end up with some air in the system. The traditional way of pumping the pedal can take days and days. I made two different sizes of power bleeders for my brakes.It screws
on the clutch master the same as it does for the master cylinder for the brakes.
What about using one of my power bleeders to bleed the system like you would bleed the brakes, by myself? I don't want to drill a hole in the floor board to bleed it that way. Wouldn't it work the same way as it does for the brakes?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to bleed my clutch system rite now the old fashion way by pumping the clutch then loosening the valve. It's a real pain. I'm interested in hearing a better way to bleed it.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody must have done this.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about using a brake bleeder but I do know tick has a speed bleeder for clutches
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I bought the motive powerbleeder and used it to bleed the clutch just as part of routine maintenance. Bled it fine.

Couple hundred miles later, my clutch hydraulics went out. 70k miles and 13 years on them. Not saying it was the powerbleeder's fault, but it did die after I did a flush.

Replaced my clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder. All I reused was the braided line. Bled with powerbleeder. Never got the clutch to really disengage properly. Drove it a couple hundred miles again, and the lack of disengagement was worsening. Ended up swapping out the CMC for another one under warranty, bled by hand (but I did install the Tick Powerbleeder which was a HUGE help), and it finally felt right. 2500 miles later and all is still well. Was the CMC bad? I don't know for certain. If so, did the powerbleeder ruin it? I don't know. All I know is new CMC bled traditionally and the car shifts really well now.

I won't go back to the powerbleeder...I am now a firm believer in the tick unit (although the speedbleeder part of it didn't seem to work right. I used it as a remote "manual" bleeder) and the traditional method. Only took maybe 2 dozen pumps of the pedal (and and lot of that was unnecessary, I was being overly cautious) and my car's been great.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have replaced the clutch a few times in my car. (260,000 miles) Always used a stock nonadjustable master cylinder. This last time I was using all brand new parts. The car would not go into gear with the motor running. I bought a spec adjustable master cylinder and it cured the problem. Bled the system with a power bleeder and without it. It did not make any difference which way it was bled. Anyway an adjustable master cylinder is a good thing to have. Just in case you have a situation like that. I'm too old to be pulling trannies out for that kind of BS. Nuff said...

Quick Reply: clutch master bleeding with power bleeder