Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New OEM Master Cylinder leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New OEM Master Cylinder leaks

While I'm waiting on my new Tick Adjustable MC to get here, I figure I would get some input to what made this new MC leak out of the top of the shaft where it attaches to the peddle? I got it from CarQuest, it did not have a new braided line so I had to use my original. Never put any miles on the car cause it's still not fixed. I did do alot of bleeding also pumping the peddle. Did I abuse it?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds to me like it was destined to go bad from the factory.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just my luck I guess.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Same thing happened to me.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
Same thing happened to me.
Did you bleed yours alot? I find it hard to believe that my pumping the pedal to bleed it did it in. I got 67,000 mile out of the original, but I never had to pump or bleed the pedal till the day it went out. Then I buy a replacement OEM and it fails after alot of pumping and bleeding and I get no mileage out of it. Are the parts that much bad? Yes, I have the new Tick MC, not installed yet, and it's a world of difference in quality.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Did you bleed yours alot? I find it hard to believe that my pumping the pedal to bleed it did it in. I got 67,000 mile out of the original, but I never had to pump or bleed the pedal till the day it went out. Then I buy a replacement OEM and it fails after alot of pumping and bleeding and I get no mileage out of it. Are the parts that much bad? Yes, I have the new Tick MC, not installed yet, and it's a world of difference in quality.
I bled it pretty thoroughly installing it, both through the bleeder screw and with a vacuum pump. For some reason I don't think I see it happening anymore, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bled it pretty thoroughly installing it, both through the bleeder screw and with a vacuum pump. For some reason I don't think I see it happening anymore, but I could be wrong.
Yea, I just hope the Tick fixes it. Thanks alot!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

I need to get mine in too. Chalk this one up to parts store quality lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I had a replacement slave that was the exact OEM make I got at O'Rielys come apart just bleeding it. Shiat happens. Got a replacement one of same make, no issue.

some people report using Mighty Vac "reversed" a seal inside....I don't know about that happening unless you use a ton of PSI with the MV. I have found 5-10 PSI is plenty when using a MV. Always had better luck just bench bleeding by hand though on both MC & slave.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
I had a replacement slave that was the exact OEM make I got at O'Rielys come apart just bleeding it. Shiat happens. Got a replacement one of same make, no issue.

some people report using Mighty Vac "reversed" a seal inside....I don't know about that happening unless you use a ton of PSI with the MV. I have found 5-10 PSI is plenty when using a MV. Always had better luck just bench bleeding by hand though on both MC & slave.
I used the Mighty Vac only removing the fluid out of the reservoir when my clutch first went out. This OEM Master only got bleed, no mighty vac. Yes I had read that also about going above 15 and doing that to the seal.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to get mine in too. Chalk this one up to parts store quality lol.
I just put my Tick Master in and it only took 20 min. The trick was I used a strap with a hook and pulled that clump of wire loom up as far as it would go, as they had said. Turn the MC upside down(also read it) and once I got it down close, I flipped it over. They said the bottom bolt is easiest but the top was the easiest for me. I got lucky as hell! Now I have to hang up side down in the seat and get that damn clip back on!

Quick Reply: New OEM Master Cylinder leaks