Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lightweight flywheel/clutch for LS7

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightweight flywheel/clutch for LS7

Hi folks -

I'm putting a mildly tuned LS7 ~575 HP on the engine dyno - into a custom track day/streetable car. The complication is that I'm using a true sequential manual, and the manufacturer is recommending that I do everything possible to lower the inertia of the engine - starting with a lightweight flywheel and clutch.

I've found the Fidanza flywheel, but I'm wondering if anyone has other ideas. I'm also wondering about the drivability of the Monster 11" clutch on a day-to-day basis.

thanks very much.

AG
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spec makes a nice unit, as well.

I've never driven that particular Monster clutch, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad, except for increased pedal effort. Your biggest issue is more likely going to be getting used to driving with a lightweight flywheel. It is a LOT easier to stall, and the higher pedal effort will exacerbate that issue.

What sequential transmission did you go with? Some of them require the vehicle to be moving to change gears, so you may have to get used to downshifting while rolling up to stoplights, if you don't already do it.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The more aggresive the friction and the lighter the clutch assembly the more difficult it will be to take off.

With your power and goals I'd recommend our new twin LT1S setup with lightweight flywheel.

We have a lighter option available with our motorsport twin, but I'd like to know what your setup weighs and the trans/rearend gearing before recommending it. Feel free to give me a call to discuss details, Chris 817-750-2000
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Adam, I just saw your post and appreciate the emails. As noted in our conversations we offer multiple options that should suit your needs. These range from standard single-disc units to extremely light mini-twin assemblies. Of course, based on your needs, usage, and output a nice single-disc with our billet aluminum pressure-plate and flywheel would be a great way to go. Give me a shout and I will be happy to assist you further.

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel/clutch for LS7