Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Steel 3-4 shift fork install problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Steel 3-4 shift fork install problem

I'm rebuilding my T56 with a stage 2 kit from the gearbox.org and I'm having problems with the steel 3-4 shift fork. When installed properly it pushes the synchro sleeve down too far and causes it to come off the synchro drive gear. When I put the stock fork back on, the problem doesn't happen. When comparing the two forks, I can see that the steel fork sits lower than the stock one. Was this kit supposed to come with a new "fork key"(the part that the shift rail moves up and down to move the fork)? It seems like without something like that, this will never work properly. anyone know how to fix this?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The black steel link is the same for either fork.

If the mainshaft is assembled with the 3-4 synchro, 3rd, 2nd, 1-2 synchro and 1st, and set down on a bench, the main shift rail with the 1-2 and 3-4 forks should set right on top of it and the forks should go right into the 2 synchros. If there is a distance spread that shifts the 3-4 slider off the hub while 1-2 stays in neutral, something isn't assembled right.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

The main shift rail has the forks the right distance apart. The problem comes when shifting to 4th gear. The 3-4 steel fork goes down far enough to disassemble the synchro. With everything put together the exact same way using the stock 3-4 fork, it shifts into 4th perfectly with no issues. The 3-4 fork I got doesn't rise as far from its base as the aluminum one does.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

when looking at this picture, the stock 3-4 fork is attached to the main shift rail and the transmission is in 4th gear. I placed the steel fork in front of the stock one, at the same height as it would be when attached to the main shift rail. You can see the bronze fork pad is significantly lower than the sleeve of the synchro. This is telling me that the steel fork will pull the synchro sleeve further down than the stock fork will.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

The shift stops (in the guide plate under the inspection cover) prevent an over-travel of the synchro slider; you're lacking that so your test is invalid.

Now, if you assemble the front plate, input, mainshaft, main case, forward shift guide lever (ball / spring not needed), main and 5-6 / R shift rails, then you could shift into 3rd / 4th for fun. But that's just proving the guide plate & lever work.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

So the synchro has the natural ability to over travel without the guide plate assembled?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:00 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

You answered your own question in the affirmative with your earlier experiment .
Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Just wanted to make sure the new synchro wasn't messed up lol

Quick Reply: T56 Steel 3-4 shift fork install problem