Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Did I kill my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Did I kill my clutch?

Other day I raced my bud in his 350z from a light. I've done plenty of WOT pulls but all were from a roll. Light turns green and we take off. I launched pretty good and was about half a car ahead at the end of 1st, grinds when I hit 2nd (it does that time to time, mostly at WOT shifting) then I shifted into what I thought was 3rd. Car doesn't feel right then I realize I'm in 5th (doing about 4.5k at 50ish mph. Instantly put the clutch in and then I get the smell of a roasted clutch. The time from when I engage 5th to when I disengage it is no more than a second or two. Couple days later smell has mostly gone away and clutch seems to hold fine. I'm basically all stock. Stock clutch w/72k miles.

Since I ordered a Tick MC and a MGW shifter which should be installed in a week or so. Hope that will eliminate grinds and mis-shifts...
Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't mentioned this in any of my other two recent threads but I let my dad take my car for a spin about a month ago. I don't know exactly what he did but it made the worst grinding noise I've ever heard a car make. Burnt clutch smell lasted till the next day. Car seemed to run fine up until a week or so ago and now I am in need of a new clutch. I'm not sure if that completely fried it, since I've read plenty of stories about Spec clutches not lasting even 2 months theres no way for me to really know for sure (I also don't know how badly it was beaten on by the previous owner). But basically what I'm saying is even if the car feels fine now, it may start to act up in the near future. Or it may not. Just got to wait and see. Be prepared for the worst.

Also, from a dig I think you should've been well over 50mph for a 2-3 shift. The mgw shifter is awesome. Will be night and day difference when you get it.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I haven't mentioned this in any of my other two recent threads but I let my dad take my car for a spin about a month ago. I don't know exactly what he did but it made the worst grinding noise I've ever heard a car make. Burnt clutch smell lasted till the next day. Car seemed to run fine up until a week or so ago and now I am in need of a new clutch. I'm not sure if that completely fried it, since I've read plenty of stories about Spec clutches not lasting even 2 months theres no way for me to really know for sure (I also don't know how badly it was beaten on by the previous owner). But basically what I'm saying is even if the car feels fine now, it may start to act up in the near future. Or it may not. Just got to wait and see. Be prepared for the worst.

Also, from a dig I think you should've been well over 50mph for a 2-3 shift. The mgw shifter is awesome. Will be night and day difference when you get it.
Yea, I mean it drives fine but you never know. I do plan on getting a Monster Stage 3 clutch eventually but I thought I could get to at least 400rwhp with my stocker before that

Yea 50mph was a guesstimation, you could tell it wasn't pulling nearly as hard as it should yet the RPMs were up. I shifted from 2nd at around 5k, so whatever that corresponds to with stock 3.42 gears.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

organic disc clutches that are stressed then burn some typically are fine after they cool. you said 1-2 seconds so doubt it glazed it

you can find a hill while going about 30-35 mph in 4th. floor it and if it holds you are good

Last edited by BALLSS; 11-25-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"power shifting" a clutch at peak torque to too high of a gear is about the hardest thing you can do to a clutch. That's like doing a 3rd gear clutch dump, here's what one looks like with the tires spinning

Depending on the condition of your clutch and how you drive it, which doesn't sound like you baby it...it may not recover as well as you'd like with your additional power, don't hesitate if you have any questions about a Monster Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: Did I kill my clutch?