Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Adjustable master cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable master cylinders

hey all, so Im having my clutch slave and master cylinder replaced right now and I have a couple questions, first off am I paying too much? Im not paying for any clutch parts only for the removal and reinstallation of the clutch + the cost of the slave and master + the installation of the slave and master. Theyre charging me $1100. sound about right?

Secondly, I have a ram adjustable master cylinder in there now and Im not quite sure if I need an adjustable or what the benefits are of having one. Its a Southbend stage 2 clutch.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

what kind of car?

you don't need to remove the clutch to replace a MC & slave. They may be removing the clutch to inspect to determine if it is causing your issue. if it is more than 1/2 wrn out, replace it as the job is not small and since you are a point & pay guy...will save $ from doing it later

if a LS car the transmission needs to be removed to replace slave/TO bearing.

you could call around qualified shops and get quotes for the work you describe and compare.

parts=x$ + labor x $labor per hr x how many hrs=$1100...fill in the "x" part

are they giving you a part and labor breakdown and what brand parts. are they replacing them with?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 PM

sorry shoulda given a little more info, its an 01 Camaro ls1, I just bought it and the southbend stage 2 clutch was slipping but it was brand new, so I had the shop look at the master cylinder which Is what I thought it was in the first place, they did and said it was fine. so then I talked to the clutch manufacturer who said they would honor the warranty even though I wasn't the original buyer (awesome). so I had the shop pull the clutch, I sent it in, they said they didn't see anything wrong with it but gave me a new one anyways (awesome). NOW, the clutch is reinstalled and the shop is telling me the m/c and s/c are bad, theyre replacing the s/c with some oem part as far as I know ($132) and they were going to replace the m/c with an oem as well but I said wait, I think I need an adjustable m/c, so now theyre waiting for me to tell them which adjustable m/c I want and the price of the part will be added to the $1000 basically. sorry if that's confusing
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do they think you need to replace your hydraulics? If the clutch was slipping in gear while driving, and your pedal feels fine, I'd be looking at the clutch, not the hydraulics. If they have the trans out to swap in a warranty replacement clutch (I think that's what you're saying?) then the slave is definitely a might-as-well item, but why the master? A Tick master ($330) would be preferable to your RAM if indeed the RAM is failing and needs to be replaced.

$132 is an okay price for a slave, definitely not a deal, but not exactly a ripoff either.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Im not sure why they went straight for the hydraulics, the clutch was slipping in gear and the pedal DID feel fine

But what I meant was I sent the clutch to be looked at by the manufacturer who ended up saying not only was there nothing wrong with it but it was less than 2 months old, so he sent me a new one anyways

I guess its just irking me that the only reason I had the clutch dropped was BECAUSE the shop said the m/c and s/c were fine. if they had diagnosed it correctly the first time I never would have paid the $600 to remove the clutch just to find out there was nothing wrong with it. Anyone think that's grounds for a refund since it was their fault for misdiagnosing?

Ive heard tick is one of the best if not THE best so I guess ill just be goin ahead and getting one, thanks for the help!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if the clutch was "sliping" the only hydraulic issue that could cause that is a leaking slave pissing on clutch but evidence of a leak would be something you could see from under the car. Certainly once tranny was pulled you could tell if that was the case.

Now clutch company says clutch was fine but good they replaced it anyway. So now shop is thinking hydraulics are bad and saying they need replacement. More of a CYA thing I suspect but at this point may be prudent unless YOU know for sure the RAM MC is in good order.

I don't have any experience with RAM products and hear many like the TICK. I have a Mcleod MC (came with my twin disc) which is made by Wilwood. very nice piece also. same $ range as TICK so you are looking at another $300 ish for a new "adjustable" MC (better than OEM IMHO)
Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 PM

I get what you're saying, I went ahead and got the tick, just ready to get the car back and drive it. Owned for almost 10 weeks, been in the shop for 7
Thx for the help everyone
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Wilwood MC, which replaced a Ram MC which lasted all of two days before leaking. Most folks go with the Tick, but the McLeod sounds like a nice piece as well. I'd avoid Ram.

Quick Reply: Adjustable master cylinders