Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Poping out of 6th?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default T-56 Poping out of 6th?

Hello-

I am having an occasional problem with my 05 CTS-V lately-it has started to randomly pop out of 6th with load. You can hold it in gear with little pressure, and it will even stay in on its own- but anything over 20% throttle chances it pooping out. Slight TB noise, no other noise in or out of gear- and all other gears work as they should at all RPM shifting (besides the shifter slop of the CTS-V.)

Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Pull it. Could be fork pads. Could be ground-down synchronization section of the gear and / or slider.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd
Pull it. Could be fork pads. Could be ground-down synchronization section of the gear and / or slider.
Neither sounds expensive or difficult to fix (I assume) Do you have any experience opening these things up? I have repaired DSM trannies before-not sure how similar or disimilar they are.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jmd is one of the most knowledgeable guys in t56 builds so needless to say he knows what hes doing. the t56 is a diy build if you have some patience and the tools needed. although it would be dumb to pop open the trans and not do a full rebuild while youre there. I'd do new synchro rings, billet keys and new fork pads. Since nothing else is wrong thats most likely all you'll need and the parts would be under 400 or so.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
jmd is one of the most knowledgeable guys in t56 builds so needless to say he knows what hes doing. the t56 is a diy build if you have some patience and the tools needed. although it would be dumb to pop open the trans and not do a full rebuild while youre there. I'd do new synchro rings, billet keys and new fork pads. Since nothing else is wrong thats most likely all you'll need and the parts would be under 400 or so.
Good to know-thanks to both of you!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Neither sounds expensive or difficult to fix (I assume) Do you have any experience opening these things up? I have repaired DSM trannies before-not sure how similar or disimilar they are.
I haven't been into a DSM box. The rear section of the trans. is snap-rings and light-duty puller use to service the 5-6 fork. I'd totally recommend reviewing bearing pre-load at the front and the 5-6 driven gear at the mainshaft though.

Follow the rebuild manual PDF that's put out by Tremec (almost identical to the original Borg Warner.) Post pics here of 6th and it's synchro slider if you have questions.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info!

Shooting you a PM about parts.

Quick Reply: T-56 Poping out of 6th?