Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch advice!

i need to drop a new clutch in my 01 camaro and wanted to know what yall thought of Monster Clutchs.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of ppl here like them I don't. Didn't stand behind their product for me. Blamed me for a junk clutch that never seen near the max torque limit. I won't recommend one ever. I went to a McLeod clutch and love it. Install a tick master cylinder too.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far i havent had nay troubles with my monster stage 2. I think theyre great clutch kits for the price. Especially if you buy them when theyre on sale
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power numbers would help but if you are stock or near stock the Monster Stage 2 is a great way to go. There are plenty of other similar options too. Spec and McLeod are good choices.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Teching In

thanks for the input guys! appreciate it. and yes, im currently very close to stock, just got healed up from a shattered leg so i can start doing stuff again.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you love the feel of a stock clutch you may want to look at the LS7 clutch.

I LOVE mine.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the monster stage II with 18 pound lightweight flywheel and new GM slave I bought last xmas at a great sale price. only have good things to say about it! if you close to stock go with their stage I set up.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jet0924
i need to drop a new clutch in my 01 camaro and wanted to know what yall thought of Monster Clutchs.
Give us some more details on what power you make, etc. and we'll make sure you get into the right clutch.

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
A lot of ppl here like them I don't. Didn't stand behind their product for me. Blamed me for a junk clutch that never seen near the max torque limit. I won't recommend one ever. I went to a McLeod clutch and love it. Install a tick master cylinder too.
You sprayed between a 150-175 shot according to your emails on a level 2, you overpowered the clutch and killed it. We went over this in detail via email and you were upset that I didn't give you a level 3 because of the failure. It's not the clutches fault.

You then go buy a twin disc that is rated to almost twice what our level 2 single is and you attempt to make a direct comparison?! That's about as apples to orange as it gets.

I get you were not happy with what happened, to say our clutch failed because it's junk is pretty one-sided. You don't like Monster, we get it, give the entire story when you're posting on a forum. There are literally thousands upon thousands of happy Monster customers, why? Because they work - not because they're junk.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill give the entire story. yes, i sprayed nitrous on the clutch. no where it said "not for nitrous or forced induction". i think that would be something simple to put on the description. i wanted to try and work something out. phone calls and emails, basically since i told the truth on what happened they wouldnt do anything. i didnt think i would need a clutch recommendation for a bolt on car. its not entirely the clutch's fault i admit that. but saying there's nothing you can do for me because i didnt get a recommendation is b.s. im sorry. At first i thought that would help me out some but never did. im not bad mouthing, i am giving my experience with the company. to all future buyers make sure you fill out a spec sheet....
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Monster Stage 2 on my C5 and it's an AWESOME to say the least. I have 2 friends with Camaro SS's with the Stage 2 clutches as well and they both love it as well. Another buddy of mine has a 475 rwhp Z06 that uses a Stage 2 Monster and it's the only clutch he'll ever use again. All 4 of us have 18lbs flywheels as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

ill give the entire story. yes, i sprayed nitrous on the clutch. no where it said "not for nitrous or forced induction". i think that would be something simple to put on the description. i wanted to try and work something out. phone calls and emails, basically since i told the truth on what happened they wouldnt do anything. i didnt think i would need a clutch recommendation for a bolt on car. its not entirely the clutch's fault i admit that. but saying there's nothing you can do for me because i didnt get a recommendation is b.s. im sorry. At first i thought that would help me out some but never did. im not bad mouthing, i am giving my experience with the company. to all future buyers make sure you fill out a spec sheet....
A clutch manufacturer that provides real world tested whp/wtq #'s does not need to specify FI/Nitrous capable. It is up to the purchaser to say "Hey maybe if I spray a 175hp shot my tq is going to jump even more and I'll probably be pushing or over 550whp/tq and overload the 550whp/tq rated clutch. I think the stage 3 would be better"

OP you cannot go wrong with the stage 2 Monster on a stock/bolt on motor. Tried and true with great service.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
A clutch manufacturer that provides real world tested whp/wtq #'s does not need to specify FI/Nitrous capable. It is up to the purchaser to say "Hey maybe if I spray a 175hp shot my tq is going to jump even more and I'll probably be pushing or over 550whp/tq and overload the 550whp/tq rated clutch. I think the stage 3 would be better"

OP you cannot go wrong with the stage 2 Monster on a stock/bolt on motor. Tried and true with great service.
This... Its not hard to take your hp and then add a 200hp/tq bump and realize you may be over the limit. That shouldnt need to be specified. Op my buddy has the stage 3 and loves it, I'll be going with the 2 and a light flywheel eventually
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it wasn't over the limit. They said the stage 2 friction disc isn't meant to handle nitrous. So yea they should if the kevlar disc isn't to be used with it. BTW it was on a dyno when it was sprayed. All the car had was exhaust and a 125 shot. The tq# was 430 on spray long way from 550 rwtq.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if that clutch isn't to be used with nitrous because of the material can't handle the sudden torque spike it should be stated.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

just my imput, I had a spec 2+ clutch in my trans am before I had to replace it due to age, it was an awesome clutch! great pressure, it was using the stock mc without problems, grabbed great. id look into it as another option, not very pricy either compared to a monster if youre on a budget
Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

It's odd you say that someone needs to "fill out a spec sheet" which to me is implying that you don't think it's necessary to disclose all of your modifications upon purchasing a clutch. You initially asked me for a recommendation and I told you to run an 11" Ceramic unit because you were saying the car was going to be a stroked/sprayed setup. Upon failure you said in the emails back and forth that you changed the setup... why wouldn't you have emailed back asking a different recommendation for your changed setup before making your purchase? You obviously thought it was important to ask the first time... You bought a Level 2 from a distributor, not us.

If I were to put all the information out there that I thought was pertinent to clutch selections in the descriptions of my clutches either nobody would read them due to the length, or, I would forget something that someone would expect to be on there. Instead, one should ask about a recommendation from the manufacturer.

Regardless, you over-powered the clutch - period. I've got in email you saying the car made 480 rwtq, here you say 430. You said in one of your emails that it was supposed to be a 150 shot but instead was a 125... I'm not trying to be an *** nor am I trying to not take care of you.

As I said in the emails, if myself or one of my guys would have recommended that clutch to you (even though that wouldn't have happened with you running nitrous) I would have gladly taken care of the issue with a free unit. Instead, you took it upon yourself to select a clutch and not get a recommendation, even though you did initially. Then when you sprayed it/over-powered it you expected not only free replacement parts, but upgraded free replacement parts?! I'm sorry, that's just not how it works.

Bottom line; you were unhappy with your Monster because it didn't hold your setup. You say it's junk, etc. except you never got a proper recommendation. Then you try and compare your McLeod RXT that is rated at almost twice what our Level 2 single is and push those down everyones throat while bashing my clutches... hey, if you want to be on McLeod's band wagon that's fine, just don't throw out that my stuff is junk because you clearly over-powered it. That's all I'm saying.

If you would like I can post the entire email strand between you and me so that others can judge...
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

To the OP - I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of on a Monster unit!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A stage 2 will hold for ya.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Monster stage 2 with the lightweight flywheel and a Tick Performance clutch master cylinder. Love it!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

monster stage 2 tick setup 20,000 miles HARD street driving EXCELLENT CLUTCH CAN'T GO WRONG!!!!! as for the nitrous dude monster can't read your mind. sounds to me like you didn't have all you cards on the table.typical society nowdays blame someone else for your own mistakes. as for mobster service after the sale PERFECT!!! i'm no rocket scientist and these guys bent over backwards to answer even my simplist questions. on a lighter note monster clutch causes my tires to wear out faster... the oldman...

Quick Reply: New clutch advice!