Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rattling under load in 3rd and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Default T56 Rattling under load in 3rd and 4th

The T56 in my swap is making noise and rattling under moderate to full throttle in 3rd and 4th only. I can feel the vibration through the shifter and the rattle is pretty severe. If I stay in the throttle and hold the shifter against its stop in that gear, the rattle is muffled but still present.

It was rebuilt by Texas Drivetrain Performance (Stage 2) in early 2013 and has only about 8K on it since the rebuild. I'm running a TDP Diamond Stage 2 clutch and a TDP 18lb flywheel. New OEM slave cyl and pilot bearing. No problems going into gear. Shift effort is high, but this may be because I'm used to shifters in other cars that take a pinky to shift. Fluid is Castrol ATF. I don't recall whether it's DEX III or IV, but I'm leaning towards III. Still have the container, so I can check if need be.

Should I try changing the fluid to something thicker to remedy the noise? What is recommended?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have a stage 2 t56 build with the exact same rattling issue. From research, it seems to be the shifter it self making the noise and is nothing to worry about. I am using the MGW shifter with the OEM "H" ****.

The shifter also made the same rattling sound before the rebuild with the stock shifter. Maybe someone can give an exact reason for it but I just live with it.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would prefer to fix it as it's annoying having it make noise with others in the car. It dampens an otherwise really fun experience. Is it the bottom ball on the shifter rattling in the main shift shaft? I wonder if I can machine a delrin bushing or sleeve to take up the slop.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Test it first. Up on jackstands, run it in 3rd & 4th. Unbolt the shifter in 3rd, slip the clutch and get it going again. Problem gone? If it's bronze, put a stock bushing in with the right adhesive.

Last edited by jmd; 12-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
The T56 in my swap is making noise and rattling under moderate to full throttle in 3rd and 4th only. I can feel the vibration through the shifter and the rattle is pretty severe. If I stay in the throttle and hold the shifter against its stop in that gear, the rattle is muffled but still present.

It was rebuilt by Texas Drivetrain Performance (Stage 2) in early 2013 and has only about 8K on it since the rebuild. I'm running a TDP Diamond Stage 2 clutch and a TDP 18lb flywheel. New OEM slave cyl and pilot bearing. No problems going into gear. Shift effort is high, but this may be because I'm used to shifters in other cars that take a pinky to shift. Fluid is Castrol ATF. I don't recall whether it's DEX III or IV, but I'm leaning towards III. Still have the container, so I can check if need be.

Should I try changing the fluid to something thicker to remedy the noise? What is recommended?
What are your rpm's when it rattles in 3rd and 4th? If you are too low in the rpm's it will rattle, basically asking you to down shift to get it going in the right gear.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd
Test it first. Up on jackstands, run it in 3rd & 4th. Unbolt the shifter in 3rd, slip the clutch and get it going again. Problem gone? If it's bronze, put a stock bushing in with the right adhesive.
Not a bad idea. Kind of sketch running it up to speed on jackstands though, as the wheels tend to move the car a lot since they're undampened. I will remove the wheels and give it a whirl.

Do you recommend a different material bushing? Delrin? Teflon? I can have something machined up at work.

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
What are your rpm's when it rattles in 3rd and 4th? If you are too low in the rpm's it will rattle, basically asking you to down shift to get it going in the right gear.

WOT from 2K-redline. It's actually not present at low RPM at all.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Stock bushings last a long time if they're properly adhered to the offset lever. They shear if they slip out.

I've used the 3M and the Loctite branded adhesives that Borg Warner originally spec'd.

make sure the bushing is adhered in with a 2-part epoxy that isn't going to let go.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's play in the shifter arm pivot bushing then you'll need either a new shifter or machine your own bushing. If it's not then get a weighted shifter **** (TWM is the heaviest) . FYI,I've got a bronze shifter ball cup in my t56 and noticed no increase in NVH.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you guys referring to this bushing?

http://www.tickperformance.com/ticks...onze-upgraded/
Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
Are you guys referring to this bushing?

http://www.tickperformance.com/ticks...onze-upgraded/
Yeah.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, as a follow up. I took apart my shifter to replace that bushing and found that my OEM shifter had damage internally. The aluminum cast socket that houses the "ball" had tiny chunks broken off and was allowing the ball to rattle around under load. A new MGW shifter solved the problem.

Quick Reply: T56 Rattling under load in 3rd and 4th