Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

best bang-buck clutches (~700lbft flywheel or less)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best bang-buck clutches (~700lbft flywheel or less)

Hi

Thinking about clutches for the setup im building. Ultimately i'd like to have an lq4 fed by a single 71-76mm turbo (eyeing down a bws471/75) and make about ~600tq to the ground. I plan on daily driving the car.

Probably going to use an ACT prolite flywheel

After a quick look around the spec sc092 looks like a good buy at ~$360 and an advertised torque capacity of 690lbft. The ACT GM9-HDSS also seems to be a good deal with pricing from ~$400-450 and a torque capacity of 745lbft.

what do you like to run?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

IMHO, in that TQ level you should run a twin disc clutch. advertised TQ ratings can be somewhat "subjective"....putting it politely.....especially on single disc clutches
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd call Steve @ Monster (SNLPerformance). Guy flat out knows his stuff, and will NOT steer you wrong. Monster rates their clutch at the tire as well.

Their new LT1 twins are sweet as hell...
Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't expect a $500 clutch to hold a 700 hp car. Or at least have something that doesnt require a leg press machine to prepare you for. RXT twin, or the street twin.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Their new LT1 twins are sweet as hell...
Monster makes a twin for the LT1 platform??

don't see any offerings for LT1 on their website....is this something new?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the money on a McLeod RST/RXT. You will not be sorry.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
Monster makes a twin for the LT1 platform??

don't see any offerings for LT1 on their website....is this something new?
The new Gen 5 LT1, sorry for the confusion.

OP our Level 3 would be the best bang for the buck and is currently on sale till the end of the year for $125 with free shipping. I would never recommend running an aggressive friction material with a cast flywheel as this can happen...
That is why we run a billet flywheel and I'd never recommend an organic material for the power you're wanting to make ie RST/LT1S. If you want a ceramic twin then I'd recommend our LT1SC clutch over an RXT if you need to hold more power and want better longevity for less ie sale price. Give me a call if you want more details or a quote, Chris 817-750-2000
Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I would love to have a twin disk, but its a little too much coin right now :/

I guess i'll throw a cheap stocker in until i really start making more power with the hair dryer. As the engine will be set in the car this winter/spring im planning on running a internally stock engine, ls9 camshaft, pro products intake manifold, and headers along with a tune. A stock clutch should be up to the task for a year or so right?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gear_grinder
I would love to have a twin disk, but its a little too much coin right now :/ I guess i'll throw a cheap stocker in until i really start making more power with the hair dryer. As the engine will be set in the car this winter/spring im planning on running a internally stock engine, ls9 camshaft, pro products intake manifold, and headers along with a tune. A stock clutch should be up to the task for a year or so right?
Yeah, but for the same amount of money you can do a Monster Stage 2. It took beating after beating in my 460/420 Camaro and never so much as have a WIMPER. That clutch drive better than stock as well. That's right. BETTER.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

I would love to have a twin disk, but its a little too much coin right now :/

I guess i'll throw a cheap stocker in until i really start making more power with the hair dryer. As the engine will be set in the car this winter/spring im planning on running a internally stock engine, ls9 camshaft, pro products intake manifold, and headers along with a tune. A stock clutch should be up to the task for a year or so right?
The Level 3 basic package with 28lb billet flywheel is on sale till the end of the year for $605 shipped to your door. The LS9 cam and typhoon intake are not what I would recommend for a stock LS1, curious why you chose them?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The Level 3 basic package with 28lb billet flywheel is on sale till the end of the year for $605 shipped to your door. The LS9 cam and typhoon intake are not what I would recommend for a stock LS1, curious why you chose them?
ls1? i'll be running a lq4/9, running that combination because cheap

thats a great deal!

Last edited by gear_grinder; 12-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Monster Stage 3. Good to 700 rwhp.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

ls1? i'll be running a lq4/9, running that combination because cheap

thats a great deal!
Gotcha, I thought you were saying you would like an LQ4. Regardless I'd run a stock LS6 intake and 243 heads or LS3 heads and intake rather than that aluminum junk spending the money on a better cam if it was mine. Hope that helps, Chris

Thanks, take advantage of the special as it ends soon
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Gotcha, I thought you were saying you would like an LQ4. Regardless I'd run a stock LS6 intake and 243 heads or LS3 heads and intake rather than that aluminum junk spending the money on a better cam if it was mine. Hope that helps, Chris
Reasons for using the proproducts intake:
flows better then ls1/6 intake manifold (flow tested documents on this forum)
kit comes with fuel rails
for what i want to do aluminum > plastic (I know the advantages of a composite intake manifold, but i want to powder coat mine, and boost)
ls1/6 used intakes are way overpriced
can get the whole deal that will use the lq4 throttle body for ~450 via amazon.
ls9 cam less then 100 through local dealer
317 castings flow better then ls1/6 heads? thought i found that in a comparison thread here on the forum...
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Reasons for using the proproducts intake:
flows better then ls1/6 intake manifold (flow tested documents on this forum)
kit comes with fuel rails
for what i want to do aluminum > plastic (I know the advantages of a composite intake manifold, but i want to powder coat mine, and boost)
ls1/6 used intakes are way overpriced
can get the whole deal that will use the lq4 throttle body for ~450 via amazon.
ls9 cam less then 100 through local dealer
317 castings flow better then ls1/6 heads? thought i found that in a comparison thread here on the forum...
It may flow better than a LS1, but not LS6. Our tuners turbo LS Stang runs 25psi through LS6 intake and 317s, it went 5.6@130 in 1/8. We have a twin turbo GTO here that makes 1145rwhp with a LS6 intake @27psi. Careful of Amazon/Ebay throttle bodies as I have seen many fail and cause WOT condition, sometimes you get what you pay for. 317 castings are what's on tuners stang and flow the same as 243, if octane limited run lower compression, but with 4" bore and lower boost I'd go L92/LS3 or LSA heads. How boost are you wanting to run and what valvesprings do you plan on running with the LS9 cam?

Last edited by SNLPerformance; 12-30-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Teching In

It may flow better than a LS1, but not LS6. Our tuners turbo LS Stang runs 25psi through LS6 intake and 317s, it went 5.6@130 in 1/8. We have a twin turbo GTO here that makes 1145rwhp with a LS6 intake @27psi. Careful of Amazon/Ebay throttle bodies as I have seen many fail and cause WOT condition, sometimes you get what you pay for. 317 castings are what's on tuners stang and flow the same as 243, if octane limited run lower compression, but with 4" bore and lower boost I'd go L92/LS3 or LSA heads. How boost are you wanting to run and what valvesprings do you plan on running with the LS9 cam?
Pro products has higher flow claims vs the ls6 for their intake manifold

here is the post and dyno test i found on the forum:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...e-numbers.html

i'll probably run the stock truck TB to save money at first and when the engine comes out of the car for boost i'll decide exactly what to do then.

i'm limiting myself to prem pump gas for tuning (street car i want to be able to drive anywhere), so the lower compression of the 317 should help me out.

For the valve springs with the LS9 cam i'm planning on running the GM bee hive spring upgrade with stock lq4/9 1.7 rockers. I think these are the OE springs for the LS9 anyway... same springs car craft ran in this article:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...st_comparison/
Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Pro products has higher flow claims vs the ls6 for their intake manifold

here is the post and dyno test i found on the forum:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...e-numbers.html

i'll probably run the stock truck TB to save money at first and when the engine comes out of the car for boost i'll decide exactly what to do then.

i'm limiting myself to prem pump gas for tuning (street car i want to be able to drive anywhere), so the lower compression of the 317 should help me out.

For the valve springs with the LS9 cam i'm planning on running the GM bee hive spring upgrade with stock lq4/9 1.7 rockers. I think these are the OE springs for the LS9 anyway... same springs car craft ran in this article:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...st_comparison/
Those gains over a LS6 could have probably been equaled with a ported throttle body, TPIS makes a 90mm conversion snout that equals the gains of a FAST 90. That is a 96mm version and won't accept a truck throttle body? The lower compression will allow you to run more boost, but that may not equal more total power and will make it less powerful off boost as well as the LS9 cam with it's late IVC which was designed for a positive displacement blower. That's an interesting article, but I don't see where it says anything about LS9 valvesprings as their installed height isn't even the same...the upgraded beehive spring was a 918 I'm assuming. With boost, I definitely recommend a good valvespring and a dual for safety should one break. Hope this helps, Chris

Quick Reply: best bang-buck clutches (~700lbft flywheel or less)