Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

crank galley plug *pics*

Old 12-25-2013, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank galley plug *pics*

OK, ill admit .. i screwed up!!! tried using the bread method... Fail .. after i removed the bread i saw that i pushed this plug back.. NOW HOW DO I FIX THIS??
Attached Thumbnails crank galley plug *pics*-img_20130519_142827.jpg   crank galley plug *pics*-plug1.jpg   crank galley plug *pics*-plug2.jpg   crank galley plug *pics*-plug-3.jpg  
Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was researching early on before I had to get my pilot out, I started with the grease method. Then after a few minutes of trying I went back inside and found a thread where on certain years this is a BAD idea. I went to Autozone and got the free tool and prayed I hadn't screwed my plug up! I don't have an answer but while you're waiting search might give you the answer.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alex2210
OK, ill admit .. i screwed up!!! tried using the bread method... Fail .. after i removed the bread i saw that i pushed this plug back.. NOW HOW DO I FIX THIS??
This search says you did this in May? https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...lp-needed.html
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

ive seen different methods .. some people push the plug out the back and fish out .. some drill holes and pull it out.. some get screw drivers, hit it sideways and pull it out. but i need a answer on what to properly do
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can, just knock it on one side with a small punch. It will knock it side ways and allow you to use a set of needle nose vise grips to pull it out. It has always worked for me. Make sure you don't scar the crank, hit it on the lip of the plug. Slow taps.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

alex2210,don't sweat it! santa clause has come to town . I screwed with that plug too. took a self tapping screw and a screw gun (drill with Phillips bit)and ran a screw in ,made a hole in plug, then took a 3 inch long deck screw and screwed it in the SMALL hole in the plug (tighter the better) and wobbled and pulled at the same time and it came right out! chevy dealer should have them in stock cheap I bought 2 just in case. about ten bucks . went with dealer because it's a dealer part .take your time good luck and let us know of your success... the oldman.....
Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
alex2210,don't sweat it! santa clause has come to town . I screwed with that plug too. took a self tapping screw and a screw gun (drill with Phillips bit)and ran a screw in ,made a hole in plug, then took a 3 inch long deck screw and screwed it in the SMALL hole in the plug (tighter the better) and wobbled and pulled at the same time and it came right out! chevy dealer should have them in stock cheap I bought 2 just in case. about ten bucks . went with dealer because it's a dealer part .take your time good luck and let us know of your success... the oldman.....
This is an option, but you need to make sure the metal that came from the plug after using the self tap screw doesn't fall inside the engine and possibly be picked up by the oil pickup tube. I just wouldn't gamble my motor on it. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

thank you I forgot to mention magnet close. sometimes us old guys have grey moments.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hole is deep, If you still have room and its not way in there, I would try to turn it like some others have done. before making chips.

I would pull the bearing out for more room now fore sure, you need to remove it anyway. I use the autozone puller. on the slide hammer, it dosnt fit, so you you can grind the teeth a little, or take one jaw odd and rebuild it under the car with both jaws behind the bearing.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

alex2210, here's the part number for the plug: GM# 24502262 knew I had it somewhere hope this helps... the oldman......
Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Launching!

I recently ran into this same exact issue using the grease and bread method and pushed the plug into the oil pan and had to raise the motor and drop the pan. Make sure you use the GM plug, I at first took the old plug to the auto parts store to match it up and although I thought it was right after I buttoned everything up it started leaking.
I got the wrong plug out by using a self taping screw and then a slide hammer on it.
Since the correct plug has been in I have had no issues. I just used a socket the size of the inner diameter of the plug to install it. There is a little ridge in there so it will only go so far.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

ok guys i got the plug out!!, i have the new plug and im going to press it in but how far to i go???
Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 AM
TECH Regular

alex, all right success! how did you do it? I don't know what to tell you on install, but what I would do to be on the safe side is to measure the end of the trans pilot shaft. measure from the end to where the taper starts for the splines. or you could slide on your pilot bearing to the trans and measure from the front of the gearing to the tip of the shaft to give a ballpark then go from there. you want to get it in just enough so your pilot shaft doesn't rub the plug. also look at the inside for machined marks or telltale signs of where the other one sat. just please go slow, alittle at a time or you'll be doing it again. hope this helps and good luck.. the oldman...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crank galley plug *pics*