Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question related to T56 slaves

Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question related to T56 slaves

I was doing some reading about clutch dust contamination issues and had a slave cylinder on my desk here that I took apart to try and understand how the piston is sealed.

Anyway - this might be a really dumb question, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how a t56 slave cylinder works. Seems like the piston travel is in the opposite direction of where fluid pressure would and should be pushing it (in towards the fingers on the pressure plate).

I'm used to lever type systems where the slave cylinder and throw out bearing are decoupled - the piston of the slave pushes on a throwout fork that's on a pivot, and forces the throwout bearing into the fingers of the pressure plate.

Did a google search and couldn't find anything lol. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

these may help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clut...+(Im+gonna+cut

https://www.google.com/search?q=Here...linder+EXPOSED.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been studying that stuff, good tech threads. Thanks Matthew, those helped.

What was throwing me was the concept that the tob is in constant contact with the pressure plate. On my previous setups the tob maintained an air gap and only contacted when you operated the clutch

At least I thought that's how it worked - when you bleed the clutch, what position is the slave cylinder in? The "A" "B" measurement guides for shimming suggest that there should be an air gap, but this doesn't make sense to me because you have a return spring on the TOB pushing it out. Someone help me see the light.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 02-06-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question related to T56 slaves