Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Rattle

I just replaced my clutch fluid following the ranger method and after I started the car back up the transmission seems to have a small rattle to it. When I clutch in it goes away but when the clutch is out in neutral it rattles a little. If I give it a light rev it makes a louder rattle when the revs start dying back down.

Now I'm assuming it's the input shaft not coupling the gears together tight enough, anyone have any ideas? The car drives fine

This may have existed before I put new clutch fluid in but I never noticed it. I put in Prestone DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid and filled it to the line inside the reservoir (I guess that's the step?).

The noise sounds similar to this video, but it's a bit quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnru9...ature=youtu.be

Help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Teching In

If it helps, the car is a 99 stock c5. Stock motor, clutch and fluids (other than clutch fluid which as I stated in the OP is Prestone DOT 4)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Teching In

My '99 F-body has done the same thing since a new stock clutch was installed by a shop as soon as I bought it. Everything's stock like you, I was worried at first and asked my brother about it (Genius mechanic), he said not to worry about it. I've driven 7k miles since then with normal abuse, have not had any issues. Still has the rattle, hope this eases your mind some.

Quick Reply: T56 Rattle