Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick master keeps disconnecting from slave

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tick master keeps disconnecting from slave

Heya guys! I recently did an A4 to M6 swap and have run into a rather irritating problem. On about the second day driving the car, pulling out of my driveway the clutch pedal went rock hard. After checking everything out I find that the MC quick disconnect had popped out of the slave. I figure it was a fluke and that I didn't push it all the way in the first time around. A couple hundred miles later, it happened again this evening trying to back out of my garage. I crawl under and again it had popped out of the slave. So I put it back in again and distinctly heard the click, re-bled the clutch and off I go. Maybe 20 miles later I am in a dark parking lot trying to fix it around hot headers, luckily I had a few tools in the car at the time. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Thanks for any info.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

No one has ever seen this before?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced my slave cylinder after my hydraulic line popped off, but it wouldn't stay on at all. I couldn't even bleed the clutch but I had some funny looking C clamp style fitting instead of the factory type for some reason. (guessing it had been swapped at one point).
My slave cylinder was fine just thought I would replace it while the transmission was out but it was the fitting that was causing me issues.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02Z281SC
I recently replaced my slave cylinder after my hydraulic line popped off, but it wouldn't stay on at all. I couldn't even bleed the clutch but I had some funny looking C clamp style fitting instead of the factory type for some reason. (guessing it had been swapped at one point).
My slave cylinder was fine just thought I would replace it while the transmission was out but it was the fitting that was causing me issues.
Mine has one of the c-clip style retainers as well. I'm now wondering if that is the whole problem since it could be flexing under the increased pressure of a tick master and allowing the quick disconnect to pop out. If so then I'll probably end up up having to replace that fitting as well. Not looking forward to dropping the transmission yet again.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I ended up getting an oem style quick connect from another member and spent today pulling the trans to swap it out. Went for a bit of a drive and everything is holding so far. We'll see how it is after a few hundred miles.

Here is a comparison of the two fittings. The one I was having trouble with on the left and an oem style on the right that I replaced it with.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your slave a gray color or black by any chance? The original style slaves are gray with AP cast into them. Autozone sells the exact same one under the duralast name as GM does. However some places sell the black one which is chinese made and has a lot of issues much like the ones you were having.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbird555
Is your slave a gray color or black by any chance? The original style slaves are gray with AP cast into them. Autozone sells the exact same one under the duralast name as GM does. However some places sell the black one which is chinese made and has a lot of issues much like the ones you were having.
Yea, it's one of the black Duralast ones. Hopefully swapping out the quick connect fitting will resolve the issues.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

I've put a couple hundred miles on it now with some hard WOT pulls and shifts and everything is holding. I'm pretty confident that the problem is now solved by swapping over to the OEM style quick connect fitting.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine has popped out of the oem connector twice. Rebend tabs and is good for a year or so haha.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting. Let us know how the new style slave holds up over time
Old 05-04-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

It's been almost 2 months now since swapping over to an OE style MC fitting and with daily driving the car along with a good bit of spirited cruising on nights & weekends there has not been a single problem yet so the issue seems to be resolved. Now to see if the china slave will last a while or not.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

awesome!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

sorry to bring up an old thread, but i'm having issues getting the line in that damn fitting! my new slave is like the one on the left in that picture with the c clip. i cant even get the male side of that fitting (coming from the master) to get past that c clip to even try to click in. did anyone have that issue? i have a c5 and its a bitch to drop everything...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gaspo
sorry to bring up an old thread, but i'm having issues getting the line in that damn fitting! my new slave is like the one on the left in that picture with the c clip. i cant even get the male side of that fitting (coming from the master) to get past that c clip to even try to click in. did anyone have that issue? i have a c5 and its a bitch to drop everything...
It didn't give me any trouble going in once lined up, even heard it click. But that style of fitting just wouldn't hold for me at all. It even popped out once when I was making a slow turn after a light change. My advice would be to either putting an OEM style fitting on your current slave like I did or just swap out to am OEM slave. I have had zero issues in 6 months since I made that swap. I understand the reluctance to drop the tranny, I had to do it I think 3 times in a week trying to fix this issue.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yup sorry to say but that clip design is your issue. I just went through this on a trans am and had to pull the transmission back down and replace it. if you put up enough of a fight you can bring the slave back to the store you got it from and get your money back. I bought one from napa with the oem design connector and haven't had another issue with the car.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Heya guys! I recently did an A4 to M6 swap and have run into a rather irritating problem. On about the second day driving the car, pulling out of my driveway the clutch pedal went rock hard. After checking everything out I find that the MC quick disconnect had popped out of the slave. I figure it was a fluke and that I didn't push it all the way in the first time around. A couple hundred miles later, it happened again this evening trying to back out of my garage. I crawl under and again it had popped out of the slave. So I put it back in again and distinctly heard the click, re-bled the clutch and off I go. Maybe 20 miles later I am in a dark parking lot trying to fix it around hot headers, luckily I had a few tools in the car at the time. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Thanks for any info.
I've had this same problem trying to figure out another way around it I was driving I push in the clutch it got rock hard then it let lose I followed the smoke from burning break fuild and the line poped out I put it back it it took some Force I gave it a tug to make sure it was in the it popped out again I repeated this process for about five times is there any way you would know how to get around this problem
Old 05-30-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cameron alderman
I've had this same problem trying to figure out another way around it I was driving I push in the clutch it got rock hard then it let lose I followed the smoke from burning break fuild and the line poped out I put it back it it took some Force I gave it a tug to make sure it was in the it popped out again I repeated this process for about five times is there any way you would know how to get around this problem
The only way I was able to resolve it was to replace the fitting on the slave. I am still running on that same slave today without an issue since then. Like the others mentioned before, I just don't believe that c-clip is strong enough to hold the fitting in place with the pressure. It is simply a bad design.

Quick Reply: Tick master keeps disconnecting from slave