Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which roller pilot bearing?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which roller pilot bearing?

I've never installed a newer transmission & clutch. The last clutch install I did on my 72 Firebird had the bronze bushing and mechanical linkage. So I've been researching a lot.
Here's why: I bought a LS3 crate engine from Pace Performance with the t56 install kit and a brand new T56 Magnum. However the kit from Pace included two pilot bearings. I'm guessing I need only one and it appears to me that I just need to use the smaller one because of the length of the input shaft on the trans. With the trans and bell housing bolted to the engine it looks like the splines enter the opening in the crank about 1/8", maybe a little more since I am just eyeballing it. Does that sound right, use the smaller one?
Attached Thumbnails Which roller pilot bearing?-bearings.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It will depend on the trans/bell housing you're using.
The 98-02 F body and GTO T56 uses the smaller one in the inner flange. The CTS-V T56, corvette LS7, and 10+ F body 6060 has a longer bell and uses the outer flange with the larger bearing.

Since you have both, would you do me a favor and get an accurate ID and OD of the larger bearing? I think there are specs online quoting the wrong dimensions for that piece.

Originally Posted by 70sPontiacs
I've never installed a newer transmission & clutch. The last clutch install I did on my 72 Firebird had the bronze bushing and mechanical linkage. So I've been researching a lot.
Here's why: I bought a LS3 crate engine from Pace Performance with the t56 install kit and a brand new T56 Magnum. However the kit from Pace included two pilot bearings. I'm guessing I need only one and it appears to me that I just need to use the smaller one because of the length of the input shaft on the trans. With the trans and bell housing bolted to the engine it looks like the splines enter the opening in the crank about 1/8", maybe a little more since I am just eyeballing it. Does that sound right, use the smaller one?

Last edited by garys 68; 03-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
It will depend on the trans/bell housing you're using.
The 98-02 F body and GTO T56 uses the smaller one in the inner flange. The CTS-V T56, corvette LS7, and 10+ F body 6060 has a longer bell and uses the outer flange with the larger bearing.
Thanks Gary.
I am using the Quick Time RM8020 and the transmission is the TUET11012.

Originally Posted by garys 68
Since you have both, would you do me a favor and get an accurate ID and OD of the larger bearing? I think there are specs online quoting the wrong dimensions for that piece.
Here's the bearing sizes.
Attached Thumbnails Which roller pilot bearing?-imag0473.jpg   Which roller pilot bearing?-imag0475.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the confirmation, there's a lot of info out there indicating the bearing has an ID of 22.7mm or (.894"). Don't know where it started, but I've seen it on Rock Auto, Jegs, Summit, etc.
Good to know they're all wrong.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

You're welcome.

I'll go with the smaller bearing and see what happens.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would measure. It isnt very hard and saves SO much headache...just search my posts lol.

bolt the bell house to the engine without the trans and it gives you an easy way to measure the depth of the input with a straight edge and tape measure.

you should also measure for the slave to see which slave you'll need and if you'll need any shims...again, search my name and you'll see all the grief I have had.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Teching In

I knew I needed to measure the slave cylinder. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to measure the input shaft the way you described.
Yes, the smaller is the correct one for my application. The splined portion of the input shaft is about 1/4" too long to use the larger one.
Thank you!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That should take a small bearing as that bell housing is the 4th Gen Fbody part number.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which roller pilot bearing?