Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 HELP NEEDED, LINKAGE STUCK IN 4th

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 HELP NEEDED, LINKAGE STUCK IN 4th

I was slowing down at a red light and the shifter wouldn't let me get it out of 4th. It's stuck in 4th, but I can push it forward a little and somehow it goes to neutral (I only know this because I tested it while running and let off the clutch). That is as far as it goes, and even at that neutral doesn't feel normal. I can't get it out into any other gear.

The car has been making a weird sound that gets especially bad around 50mph. I suspect there is something wrong with the linkage. I took the console out to try and get in from the top, but it looks like all the linkage is internal.

Is there a way to get to the linkage without dropping the transmission out?

This is my daily driver and I'm really screwed right now, if anyone has any advice or a solution please help.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

No. The linkage is internal.

You're at a point where keeping it mobile (4th only) doesn't make much sense as you'll just burn up the clutch. If you have the facilities to at least drop the trans. and put another in, call up a sponsor like TDP or Tick to see what a ready-to-go trans. would go, assuming you mail yours back. Less hassle and you'll deal with guys who know the trans. instead of a local "do everything but give it a stock rebuild" job.

Quick Reply: T56 HELP NEEDED, LINKAGE STUCK IN 4th