Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my master cylinder bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my master cylinder bad?

So over winter I yanked my drivetrain and overhauled it. Completely rebuilt my t56 new clutch and full boltons and cam to the motor. I did not replace master or slave when installing everything and now I'm regretting it. I did the drill mod and then bled the clutch. I never got a full pedal I've bled it a billion times. Went today and got a mityvac to bleed it and nothing is different. My symptoms are as follows....
1.I have a rather large amount of free play with my clutch
2.when I push the clutch in it makes a metal popping noise at the mc I going to check tomorrow to make sure the bolts are right.
3. Doesn't want to go into gear unless I just about send the pedal through the firewall.
4. When I took it for the first actual drive about 20 miles the pedal would fluctuate between the common "lots of play engagement at the very bottom" to full pedal.
Is this a master cylinder problem or could It still somehow be air. Thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happened to me when I did my T56 swap, only I had bought a "new" mc from the classifieds here, which turned out to be junk. Even had the metal popping sound, turns out where the shaft was crimped to the cast part, was loose and causing the noise.

I then got a new one from a local parts house, and just couldn't get enough pedal, just like you. Bit the bullet and bought a Tick mc and speed bleeder and couldn't be happier. Do yourself a favor and get the speed bleeder too, but youll have to pull the trans to install it, and if you're going that far, might as well do the slave as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Damn i am dropping 500 on a tune in two days I don't have te money for a tick master haha but do you think it was the master? I may get another oem and try it to see if it will get me by for now. It was fine before I did all the motor work and installed my monster clutch
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you didn't bleed it fully. You need to bleed at the slave first then use your mighty vac to pull air out of the master.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Do the monster clutched need a shim behind the slave? I know a lot of the spec clutches do.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

We'll update kinda embarrassed I rmb'ed when we installed the mc we had a hell of a time getting that u bolt in and hat bent some threads therefor making it hard to get one side of the nuts on.....I though we'll maybe is wasn't on the whole way went down and really turned on it to the point I thought something was going to break. I got about 1 and a half turns and then it got loose. Figured I stripped it have it about another turn or two and it tightened up jumped in it and boom pedal is great. So I feel dumb thanks for the help though guys

Quick Reply: Is my master cylinder bad?