Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod RST and Monster twin disc users come in please

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Mcleod RST and Monster twin disc users come in please

Hi guys the recent cam install is forcing me to look into a new clutch (funny how that works) anyway I want to get it as light as possible but yet still remain reasonable in price. I like the mcleod rst/rxt and it comes in around 37 lbs with a lightweight flywheel and has a much smaller MOI than a full size clutch while not breaking the bank too much over a traditional setup.

My question is what do you all think of your clutches. I hear a lot of buzz about floater rattle. How bad is it? This is my DD which is another reason for a twin disk being that it has a low pedal pressure for traffic. But I dont want it being really annoying when using light throttle cruising at 1500 rpm or so in moderate traffic or through neighborhoods. I can deal with some noise when the pedal is pushed in as I dont usually hold it in often and I suppose i could use some sound deadening in the trans tunnel but I'd rather not lol. Let me know what you all think

Dan-

Last edited by redbird555; 04-04-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call monster they have multiple badass twin disk options for you. cant beat their customer service

imo if its a cam only car there is no reason for a twin disk monster level 2 would be a great dd clutch
Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the RST twin disk in my car (which is primarily built for street driving and road courses) and I love it.

As far as driveability, I don't have any chatter or rattle. Engagement with a lopey cam takes a little time to learn and you will get a little surge at low RPM parking lot speeds (15 mph). This is predictable and easily manageable.

As for the benefits -- I went from the heavy LS7 clutch to the RST twin with a lightweight flywheel. The sluggishness around town is gone. The car revs very quickly and it's a dream at the track (road courses).
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
call monster they have multiple badass twin disk options for you. cant beat their customer service

imo if its a cam only car there is no reason for a twin disk monster level 2 would be a great dd clutch
I did look into the monster twin but they are very expensive and the stage 2 is my 1st choice for a single disk. But even with the light flywheel it still weighs almost as much as the heavy stock clutch.

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I went with the RST twin disk in my car (which is primarily built for street driving and road courses) and I love it.

As far as driveability, I don't have any chatter or rattle. Engagement with a lopey cam takes a little time to learn and you will get a little surge at low RPM parking lot speeds (15 mph). This is predictable and easily manageable.

As for the benefits -- I went from the heavy LS7 clutch to the RST twin with a lightweight flywheel. The sluggishness around town is gone. The car revs very quickly and it's a dream at the track (road courses).
Thanks man thats actually the exact setup im after. I want the rst with a 15lb chromoly fly or aluminum if i find one for a decent price. Some people experience floater rattle but i guess its just luck of the draw lol. does the car seem faster/ more responsive from a roll and what flywheel do you have
Old 04-03-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Thanks man thats actually the exact setup im after. I want the rst with a 15lb chromoly fly or aluminum if i find one for a decent price. Some people experience floater rattle but i guess its just luck of the draw lol. does the car seem faster/ more responsive from a roll and what flywheel do you have
I went with the 18 lb aluminum flywheel.

YES, I was pleasantly surprised with how much more responsive the car feels. Probably a shade slower from a dig (because it's tougher to nail a perfect launch), however it feels a good bit faster from a roll.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Man I just posted my thoughts on my Monster twin here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...installed.html

I would definitely give them a call. I think you would be very pleased with the clutch I have based off your comments. And I believe they are priced better than the comparable Mcleod.

Some info on the Monster and some other good info also.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327254

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619538

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...6#post18059424
Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Went with the McLeod RST myself and love it! The pedal feel is like stock, no chatter or any funky noises and whatnot, and holds up great to my power level
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I went with the 18 lb aluminum flywheel.

YES, I was pleasantly surprised with how much more responsive the car feels. Probably a shade slower from a dig (because it's tougher to nail a perfect launch), however it feels a good bit faster from a roll.
Sounds good I dont track the car much anyway highway rolls or just rolls in general are what I normally do so hopefully it make those a little better/more fun
Originally Posted by slow01z
Man I just posted my thoughts on my Monster twin here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...installed.html

I would definitely give them a call. I think you would be very pleased with the clutch I have based off your comments. And I believe they are priced better than the comparable Mcleod.

Some info on the Monster and some other good info also.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327254

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619538

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...6#post18059424
I have looked at those and while the clutch is still heavy the MOI is supposed to be smaller but I cant really find any info on it. Its still 1100 though the mcleod is 675 and the chromoly flywheel is around 150
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LT1-S with it's lightweight flywheel that removes all the mass from the extremity is going to have the lowest MOI if that is what you're wanting for your daily driver. It also will have the longest life out of any twin disc as it's the only one with a pressure plate that can compensate for the additional wear of a 2nd disc.
Name:  LT1flywheel_zps9739912d.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  52.8 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LT1flywheel_zps9739912d.jpg (52.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the reply steve, out of curiosity what is the diameter of the lt1 clutch and i assume the flywheel is the normal 14" size?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

thanks for the reply steve, out of curiosity what is the diameter of the lt1 clutch and i assume the flywheel is the normal 14" size?
Discs are 9 and 1/2"...flywheel is technically 13 and 7/16", ring gear makes it 14 and 3/16"
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really dont want another self adjusting PP even though it is a new design it just left a bad taste in my mouth so not looking to go that route. As it stands now I'm looking towards the mcleod with a chromoly fly.

Also been talking with monster about the possibility of their level 1 billet twin. Does anyone here have one with a lightweight flywheel if so how does it drive? Its supposed to weigh 34lbs or 44 with the normal flywheel I'm curious on either setup
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a 30 lb assembly and like it very much. It's challenging in stop n go but revs very nice and pulls great on the highway. I have the Zoom d2. If I was to replace mine today, I'd go ACT twin. I blew up two McLeod street twins in several hundred miles.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Go with the RST.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

ya that seems to be where i'm leaning for the price its hard to beat, its got great reviews for driveability and the weight is around 36-38lbs with a small MOI because of its smaller size.

now the question is do i pickup a used fidanza and get a new insert or go with the chromoly flywheel?

also are you all balancing the whole setup before it goes in the car when you use a non mcleod flywheel
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Luk (maker of the lt1 clutch) have vastly improved the self adjusting PP. Should be a non-issue now. But the RST does have a REALLY soft pedal being it's a PP from a Honda I think. There are a ton of folks out there that are happy with either company so you really cannot go wrong. Just stick to the organic disk for whomever you choose.

If you want a really fast revving motor you really are not going to get it with the LT1 clutch as the PP and floater are quite thick and heavy. BUT that's a good thing. Less likely to warp and can take more heat.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Exidous
Luk (maker of the lt1 clutch) have vastly improved the self adjusting PP. Should be a non-issue now. But the RST does have a REALLY soft pedal being it's a PP from a Honda I think. There are a ton of folks out there that are happy with either company so you really cannot go wrong. Just stick to the organic disk for whomever you choose.

If you want a really fast revving motor you really are not going to get it with the LT1 clutch as the PP and floater are quite thick and heavy. BUT that's a good thing. Less likely to warp and can take more heat.
This is my main thing if I'm dropping some coin on a nice setup I want it to rev quick and be good for rolls. The monster does have a light flywheel option to remove some weight from the outside but nonetheless it still is a bigger heavier clutch so it should inevitably have more inertia futher from center.

I know this has been beaten to death but do u all think aluminum or a chromoly flywheel?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

7200rpm shifts after launching off the limiter with slicks, I'd say so...
Originally Posted by Exidous

cough V6 Camaro cough

This is my main thing if I'm dropping some coin on a nice setup I want it to rev quick and be good for rolls. The monster does have a light flywheel option to remove some weight from the outside but nonetheless it still is a bigger heavier clutch so it should inevitably have more inertia futher from center.

I know this has been beaten to death but do u all think aluminum or a chromoly flywheel?
Chromoly over aluminum as a lighter flywheel is going to need to be slipped more with a heavy car and stock gears to get going and the steel insert in the aluminum can warp with the heat, so that is why I would not recommend it from experience before I worked for a clutch company. If you have a cam any bucking will be more pronounced with a lighter flywheel that absorbs less harmonics as well. Hope that helps, Chris
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm. I just picked up a car with the McLeod street twin. The petal is heavier than stock, and the engagement it set all the way down. Shifting it pretty bad as it takes a second or two to shift into the next gear at WOT. I wonder if a tick MS would solve the shifting issue?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrilla
Hmmm. I just picked up a car with the McLeod street twin. The petal is heavier than stock, and the engagement it set all the way down. Shifting it pretty bad as it takes a second or two to shift into the next gear at WOT. I wonder if a tick MS would solve the shifting issue?
don't know what kind of car you got but my Mc Leod Street Twin came with a new/larger MC (Wilwood) with adjustable rod. confirm you don't have a "disengagement" issue causing your shifts to drag.

clutch could also be worn or not installed right (shim stack height)

Quick Reply: Mcleod RST and Monster twin disc users come in please