Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Clutch Noise

Hello, I have a '98 TA LS1 with the T-56 6 speed, and it makes this rattling like sound whenever the clutch is engaged and the car is moving. Only when its moving. If I put it in neutral and engage the clutch, there are no sounds what so ever. I tried taking a video last night but the car itself is too loud and you can't hear it. I have a centerforce dual friction clutch. I just want to know what this sound is, because its annoying as hell
Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the CF clutch has the "sliding weights" on PP.....that may be what you hear. just a guess
Old 05-10-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryandaman12
Hello, I have a '98 TA LS1 with the T-56 6 speed, and it makes this rattling like sound whenever the clutch is engaged and the car is moving. Only when its moving. If I put it in neutral and engage the clutch, there are no sounds what so ever. I tried taking a video last night but the car itself is too loud and you can't hear it. I have a centerforce dual friction clutch. I just want to know what this sound is, because its annoying as hell
I'd bet that the sound is also audible when in neutral and clutch engaged (ie pedal up). Sounds much like the noise in my car. There's another recent related thread on trans noise below. I think all T56's come with neutral gear rollover noise from the factory. Whether your ears can pick it up depends on a number of things. It's much louder on some cars than others. The stronger the engine the greater the input vibrations to the transmission. It seems whenever the engine, clutch, trans or shifter get upgraded, it results in more vibrations from the trans/clutch/shifter than it was when stock. This topic of trans to shifter vibrations is frequently seen on every car including current Mustangs, Camaro's, Challengers, Vettes, Jeeps, Miata's, etc.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ound-like.html

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-15-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Noise