Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need straight answer on where to get Slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need straight answer on where to get Slave cylinder

I hear 10 people giving 10 different where and what to buy stories. I have a plain casting(black)green disconnect(if that matters) now. It's new but, the Made in China label isn't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling right about now. Pulling my tranny in a month from now for another slave won't be good for my health aside from the new words I come up with while looking at a puddle on the driveway. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-sl...-firebird-ls1/

Where I got mine.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
the Made in China label isn't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling right about now
Why would this bother you? They make wonderful Chinese food there.

The AC Delco slave is the one you have to worry about. Just don't get that one and you are on your way to being fine. I recall somewhere that they are made in Mexico. I am one of many victims of the AC Delco slave and have been fine on the GM model. (FYI - For this part GM does not equal AC Delco. I expect this may be part of your confusion?)
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM slave or GM equivalent. Avoid black/Chinese slaves (sounds racist, I know LOL) at all costs as they're problematic.

All GM slaves are made in Mexico. Tick is a good source as are we, you can't go wrong with either!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from NAPA for like $60. I can't remember the part number right off, but I have it somewhere. I could get you a pic of it if you needed one. It is the silver casting one with AP stamped on it. From everything I read the AP casting is what you want which is why I went with it. I haven't completed my swap so don't have any more info than this.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The silver ones are problematic, I believe their inner seal design is what causes most of clutch fluid contamination and pedal issues.

The silver one is not a true delco piece, it was out sourced long ago which is why autozone and oreilleys pieces were identical and had identical stampings. The black ones I'm sure are Chinese too

I have not used the black one yet but it appears to have tighter tolerances compared side by side with the silver one.

Quick Reply: Need straight answer on where to get Slave cylinder