Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse lockout not working (fuses and solenoid are good)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM
TPD
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse lockout not working (fuses and solenoid are good)

A while back, I did an a4-m6 swap on my 98. I got an engine, trans, pcm and harness out of an 02. Since getting the car finished, I have had to force the shifter into reverse every time. I figured it was just a bad solenoid and it wasn't really an inconvenience for me. This past weekend, I finally got tired of my wife complaining because of her not being able to get it reverse was keeping her from driving the car.

I checked the solenoid only to discover that it was good. So I checked all the wiring, which was all good. Finally, I pulled the pcm out of one of my other cars and swapped to this one. When I turned the key on, the solenoid disengaged and I was able to easily get the transmission into reverse. This has me thinking the issue is in the pcm itself.

Has anyone ran into this before or have any thoughts on how to fix it? Since my wife will be driving the car some, leaving it the way it is or just removing the solenoid all together are not really options. And I would prefer to not rewire it to work off of clutch/brake switch if at all possible.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah. Happened to me when I did my m6 swap. The best I can figure is the polarity of the switch is wrong. I think 98 models had a different reverse lockout switch which changed polarity in 99. My 98 has a new sensor in it and when plugged in works the opposite way it is suppose to. If you leave the sensor in plugged you can get into reverse going any speed

So if you have a 98 sensor in the trans try reversing the wires. Sounds like the plug just wasnt tight in your ecm, if reverse lockout was stuck in the on mode there is no way to get into reverse even if you really bang on it.

Last edited by chrysler kid; 06-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 PM
TPD
Teching In

The only thing on my car that is still 98 is the body. All of the drivetrain and wiring is 02. With the key off, I can jump power to the pink wire and the solenoid will power up. So with key off, the ground in pcm is there, but once the key is on it cuts the ground. With my other pcm (which is also an 02), the solenoid powers up with key on and lets the shifter go in reverse easily.

The pcm had already had a tune done before I got it. I'm starting to wonder if they could of screwed up the values for when the solenoid cuts on and off
Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TPD
The only thing on my car that is still 98 is the body. All of the drivetrain and wiring is 02. With the key off, I can jump power to the pink wire and the solenoid will power up. So with key off, the ground in pcm is there, but once the key is on it cuts the ground. With my other pcm (which is also an 02), the solenoid powers up with key on and lets the shifter go in reverse easily.

The pcm had already had a tune done before I got it. I'm starting to wonder if they could of screwed up the values for when the solenoid cuts on and off
Its possible, especially if you have the skip shift and reverse lockout plugged into the wrong spots like I did initially
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
TPD
Teching In

It is plugged up right. It works when I switch pcms.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then your PCM is either going bad or needs to be reflashed. The PCM will ground out the pin going to the rev lockout sol, so for some reason your PCM isn't doing that. The calibration could be screwed up as well.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TPD
A while back, I did an a4-m6 swap on my 98. I got an engine, trans, pcm and harness out of an 02. Since getting the car finished, I have had to force the shifter into reverse every time. I figured it was just a bad solenoid and it wasn't really an inconvenience for me. This past weekend, I finally got tired of my wife complaining because of her not being able to get it reverse was keeping her from driving the car.

I checked the solenoid only to discover that it was good. So I checked all the wiring, which was all good. Finally, I pulled the pcm out of one of my other cars and swapped to this one. When I turned the key on, the solenoid disengaged and I was able to easily get the transmission into reverse. This has me thinking the issue is in the pcm itself.

Has anyone ran into this before or have any thoughts on how to fix it? Since my wife will be driving the car some, leaving it the way it is or just removing the solenoid all together are not really options. And I would prefer to not rewire it to work off of clutch/brake switch if at all possible.

Hey I just did the same swap on a 00 WS6 I took my car into my tuner shoip recently to get the computer issues fix and had them check the clutch since mine as well had to be forced into reverse....long story short I asked what they had to do to make it work, they said bleed the clutch more.....

so try bleeding the clutch A LOT more. mine works perfect now, other than that im not sure if they had to do anything else to get it working right.

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout not working (fuses and solenoid are good)