Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Billet key springs question

Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Billet key springs question

I'm rebuilding my t56 in my cts-v. I got billet keys with the upgraded springs. I just finished putting the 3-4 synchro assembly on the mainshaft then pressed the front bearing on. I can't remember if I ran both springs off the same key on both sides or not. The synchro assembly slides nice and doesn't seem to bind or anything. Can this be a problem? Should I pull the front bearing and risk damaging the bearing to check it? Since the bearing has to come off to get this stuff off again.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Now that I think about this more I didn't start at the same key for both side but made sure I ran the spring in opposite directions on each side so in the end one key will have the end/start of each spring on it. So the same in the end. Am I thinking right? Maybe over thinking it
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you don't have the Kent-Moore split plates, a bearing splitter tightened with the edges under the bearing inner race may lift it up enough to be able to use a puller. Else, it's not an expensive nor tough bearing to find.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I have a normal split plate. Found a bearing local for $10 so may as well double check.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

it can cause issues. It will put uneven tension on the keys which can result in higher shift effort and quicker wear.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

I checked it and I had it right. Got it all built and back in thr car. Shifts good but a bit stiff but from what I read this is normal with a new rebuild. Plus I changed some of the linkage parts to get rid of some play.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Billet key springs question