Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4th gear grinding when downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gear grinding when downshifting

I've been having a problem lately where I'll shift down from 5th to 4th, and it makes a nasty grinding/buzzing/I'm-sure-there's-a-better-word-for-it as if I'm not pressing the clutch in far enough. I know that's not the case though because it happens even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. It doesn't happen every time, and when it does I just wait a second and then it goes into gear just fine.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem. 5th to 4th.grinds sometimes down shifting. the pervious own had the same problem from day one, car has only 12k miles, gm tech could not duplicate it so said nothing is wrong. well problem is still going on, replaced slave, line mod and master cylinder as pedal was starting to stick half way. pedal is great now. pedal sticking common on 99 t56. I believe hydraulics nothing to do with down shifts, maybe shift fork or syncro ????
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm thinking there is a blocker ring issue in the 3/4 synchronizer assembly.

if it were the hydraulics, i suspect it would happen in every gear.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to liberty gear, (great local place taylor mich) tech recommends: longer keys, blocker, bronze pads and steel fork should take care of this problem, 275 plus parts for them to go thru it. $400-700 fix
Old 06-22-2014, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zulatr
I talked to liberty gear, (great local place taylor mich) tech recommends: longer keys, blocker, bronze pads and steel fork should take care of this problem, 275 plus parts for them to go thru it. $400-700 fix
Thanks for the info! I plan on upgrading the clutch eventually, do you think I would be okay putting off this fix until then and having it all done at once? Or is this something that could cause damage if I allow it to continue?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Liberty gear rebuilt my t56 as well. I have not been able to test it because i have a long way to go on my resto. I was told if it takes 5 years to install it and I have a problem they will fix it. They have very good customer service. I was very pleased with my experience.

Quick Reply: 4th gear grinding when downshifting