Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Opinions needed - THANKS USPS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions needed - THANKS USPS!

Howdy all,

Need your opinions on whether or not you would run a pressure plate like this that has a very slight gouge on the inner most portion of the clutch mating surface and a TOB that's slightly beat up but actuates smoothly.

I purchased this clutch kit off of another forum but thanks to USPS, the entire shipment was damaged and parts went missing. Long story short, I was "reimbursed" $50 and told to eat ****

This is a stock pressure plate/clutch setup. The disc itself is perfect, surprisingly.

I thought of just nabbing a fine file or some fine sandpaper and just smoothing out the PP areas, to ensure it doesn't eat up the clutch. How about the TOB? Opinions?

Attached Thumbnails Opinions needed - THANKS USPS!-damaged-throwout-bearing.jpg   Opinions needed - THANKS USPS!-pp.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but the pressure plate doesn't look bad to me. I would bring it to a reputable tranny shop and see what they think. They won't charge you just for an opinion. Those areas that a dinged May not touch the clutch, try and line them up off the car maybe.

I would get a new slave tob combo if you have the cash. Not sure how new the one you bought is but it would suck *** to have to replace if it were to leak
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Man, your wife is gonna kill you for putting those things on the fancy granite countertop!

But to actually help, the pressure plate looks pretty good and I would feel fine using it, but I would DEFINITELY want a pro to give me the greenlight. The slave I would be very leary of. They are not really strong to begin with and seem to be the cause of a lot of headaches in our cars. For the "relatively" small price for a new one, I think I would bite the bullet and avoid trashing the clutch with fluid all over it down the road.

You know that you would be second guessing yourself every day if you put it in without at least asking a shop for their opinion.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

I'd put those in, all of them, and never think about it again.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Launching!

id knock off any lumps with my file and run it.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run it
Old 06-19-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the nicks on PP are no big deal. jut take some emery cloth to smooth off any rough edges if there are any. lay your disc over the PP, does the mating surface touch in that area at all?

TO bearing....I would be more concerned if it leaked under pressure due to the visual damage....but you won't know that until you have it all buttoned up....and if it did leak that would mean dropping everything to replace.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Dont really see any problem with either. Chances are the friction disc wont even touch those parts of the PP, and even if it does...just smooth them with a file or go easy with a grinder

Bent part on the release bearing is a static part, doesnt turn, doesnt do much.

As long as the bearing turns smoothly, and the stroke of the unit isnt compromised...it will be fine

Dont know how on earth USPS could damage that PP though. Good chance damage was there before ?

Quick Reply: Opinions needed - THANKS USPS!