Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Trans Am Purchase - Clutch Pedal Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trans Am Purchase - Clutch Pedal Question

I've been working on purchasing a 2000 trans am with 8,000 miles from a seller. Car is mint in every way but seller mentioned just the other day upon start up the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. He was going to have it looked at.

I read up on the Master and slave cylinders and clutch replacement costs. It could also just be old fluid/dirt/grime best case.

How worried should I be about this with a car with 8,000 miles? After reading everything I was hoping at worst case it would be replacing the fluid and master with such a low mile car.

What concerns should I have since the car is LIKE new? Original tires, smells new, etc. Stored by the last owners mostly. I appreciate your advice. Trying to work out the purchase in the next couple days pending the issue and advice.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not so much mileage as age. I strongly suggest flushing all the old, dirty fluid out and see how it is then.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if you need a new master, they're not too expensive if sticking with OE (and they're easy to replace). If you're OK with not keeping it factory, the best upgrade right now on the market is a Tick. I love mine.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should probably not buy that car if you do not know how a fluid operated master cylinder works or how to replace one.

You should buy a new camaro with a warranty. Even at only 8,000 miles you are going to have more problems. If a $75 part is scary you need to re think your vehicle purchases because this is not the car for you
Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You should probably not buy that car if you do not know how a fluid operated master cylinder works or how to replace one.

You should buy a new camaro with a warranty. Even at only 8,000 miles you are going to have more problems. If a $75 part is scary you need to re think your vehicle purchases because this is not the car for you
what a douche bag reply. change fluid and rebleed it. my cars pedal sticks to floor when high rpm driving. very common in these cars because of the lack of fluid that flows. there is a drill mod that can be done that helps get the fluid flowing faster and many switch to tick like stated above. I'm sure the car is a great buy if it was garaged or kept from moisture. I just did a clutch and new slave cylinder. these cars are a pain to bleed. for 40 bucks get a mittyvac like I did. harbor freight has and after u flush bleed it with this from the master. took me less than 5 min and is the best way to do imo. there is a speed bleeder also but you need to drop tranny to install on slave. good luck
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dhctss
what a douche bag reply. change fluid and rebleed it. my cars pedal sticks to floor when high rpm driving. very common in these cars because of the lack of fluid that flows. there is a drill mod that can be done that helps get the fluid flowing faster and many switch to tick like stated above. I'm sure the car is a great buy if it was garaged or kept from moisture. I just did a clutch and new slave cylinder. these cars are a pain to bleed. for 40 bucks get a mittyvac like I did. harbor freight has and after u flush bleed it with this from the master. took me less than 5 min and is the best way to do imo. there is a speed bleeder also but you need to drop tranny to install on slave. good luck
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I appreciate it!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't let the sticky clutch pedal scare me off from buying the car. Take a minute to read this writeup: http://tick-performance.com/images/tickshiftfaq.html

If you have any questions at all, feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email anytime.

Quick Reply: New Trans Am Purchase - Clutch Pedal Question