Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

[[VIDEO ADDED]]Help me diagnose this squeak please.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [[VIDEO ADDED]]Help me diagnose this squeak please.

Turned Out to be the Throw Out Bearing SPEC sent me. New GM Bearing solved it.

Hey there guys,

I have this annoying squeak that comes from my tranny in neutral.
It's not a very nasty squeak. Pretty light, like slight rubbing but it's annoying as can be to me. I like my car to not squeak, rattle, etc.

If I push my foot down on the clutch it goes away.
Also, if I sit in neutral and move the shifter lightly against any gear it goes away.

Obviously if it was the pilot bearing it would be making noise all the time.
The pilot bearing , clutch, slave, Pressure Plate, Flywheel and Throwout bearing are all new. Only a few thousand miles.

The Throwout bearing is the SPEC brand one that came with the stage 1 clutch.

I've always used GM Throw out bearings until this one so I'm wondering if the spec TOB would cause it. I believe it was slightly different than the GM one when I compared the two a year ago.

I'll probably drop the tranny again this weekend, but was just curious if anyone had any insight before I yank it.

I'll post a video of it after work today for easier diagnosis.

Thanks guys.

P.S, SPEC, what is the difference in your TOB vs. GM?
Height? I remember it being shorter I think.
Thanks!

PLAY IN HD FOR BETTER SOUND

Last edited by Blasko; 04-19-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Video
Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

More than likely it's from the input shaft as it turns the transmission. A very common feature of the T56's. Mine has it and I describe like a "whirring" type of sound. On most T56's it goes away under load as rpm rises above 2,000-2,500. That's perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about. For those who upgrade the hp on their engines and use new heavy duty clutches it seems like this occurs very often. The rolling of the transmission gears under light load makes the noise. It's then transmitted back up through the cabin via the shifter handle.

I had a thread a month or so again that described numerous ways to possibly improve or fix it....seems it bothers a lot drivers. You could do all of the things mentioned and it might not go away. The factory used a sloppy sound-isolated shifter handle and a plastic shifter cup among other things to reduce the noise. Upgrades tend to eliminate those OEM noise reducers. Not likely it's the TO bearing if the noise goes away with the clutch pedal down. That's when the TO brg is doing work (clutch disengaged).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ots-ideas.html
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I do indeed have the typical "whirring" but this is definitely a pronounced squeak that shouldn't be there, and never was before.

My Input shaft is actually new too.
  • I blew up the car with my spec stage 3+ in it
  • I put new used LS1 with 67k in it with same clutch setup but had tranny rebuilt. When I blew it up the pilot bearing gave and ate up the input shaft.
    Also, New Speed Bleeder, New Slave, GM Throw Out Bearing
  • All was perfect then after a few thousand miles my rear main seal went and leaked oil all over my spec 3+
  • I put a new rear main in it and cleaned off my clutch and pressure plate
  • Clutch was ruined so I put a spec stage 1 in it.
  • Stage 1 came with SPEC throw out bearing so I used that.
  • Never had the squeak until after break in of the new clutch and parts. I was out of town for work for 1 year so Its been out of sight out of mind until I returned home and was re-introduced to it.

Sounds almost like there is just a tad of play between the TOB and the pressure plate fingers and its causing it to squeak and rub, but I'm not understanding how it stops when I touch the tranny to any gear.

I got back late tonight, I'll post up a video tomorrow afternoon.
Either way, Transmission is coming out this weekend.

Thank you for your reply. Any insight / Ideas are welcomed and much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Bump for help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [[VIDEO ADDED]]Help me diagnose this squeak please.