Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Auto to t56

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Auto to t56

Ok I got a deal worked out but I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I tear into this. I have a 1998 z28 camaro auto and a friend of mine has a 1999 ss camaro t56 he wants to swap set ups with me. I've been told that the harness are different between the two? What all would I need to change or buy to make this swap happen? Any thing that will help me with this swap will be helpful thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Guess no body knows of me difference in wiring etc do to different years?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tbh this has been covered so many times people just may not want to reply please try a search. you can use your auto harness with the t56 but he will need an auto harness. you can use your 98 harness on the t56 but he cant use your 98 auto harness because the pcm system changed from 98 to 99-02
Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks that's what ive been told. Just trying to make sure my car im swapping motors etc so not in a hurry but his car is most a daily driver and he doesn't want it down long. Do you know what a going price on that auto 99 harness is?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally, I'd just switch the harnesses. It may take more work in the short, but more worthwhile in the long. This is lt1 experience, so "grain of salt" and what not.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly I consider it a waste of time in ls1 cars. I still run the auto harness with no issues. Everything you need to power and make the t56 function as factory can be found right in the 4l60e trans harness plug and will 20 minutes of re-pinning the pcm will work just like stock
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Honestly I consider it a waste of time in ls1 cars. I still run the auto harness with no issues. Everything you need to power and make the t56 function as factory can be found right in the 4l60e trans harness plug and will 20 minutes of re-pinning the pcm will work just like stock
Ditto. I did the entire harness swap and it was a waste of time because you still have to splice the harness from the shifter to get the tail lights to work.

You will both need new computers but other than that everything is pretty much the same

You can not use his harness or computer, and he can not use yours. But you can use each others harness ends (connectors)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
Same. A lot of guys feel like its a waste because you still have to wire stuff even when using the manual harness. Plus, with splicing into the auto harness, it's all there if you ever want to go back.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

So what yall are saying we can reuse the harness on both cars just have to repin them and the pcms a buddy of my used a t56 pcm in his auto car just had to have it flash and programed to a manual trans tune. ive always wanted it 6 speed just didnt want to spend that crazy money.. but this way im helping him get his car like he wants it and mine like i want mine. my car the motor and harness will be out on the ground im in the process of installing my lq9 so to me mine is going to be the easiest one. thanks for the info. Been trying to find the conversions and reserch them just having little trouble finding the info im better working on cars than a computer lol..

Quick Reply: Auto to t56