Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse Shim problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brand new Ram flywheel, brand new RXT twin disk clutch. I was running a textralia clutch before with no issues. The previous owner of this engine/trans combo said he removed the spacer that was originally on the crank.

1) Measurement "A" is the distance between the surface of the bell housing that meets the transmission to the tip of the pressure plate fingers. To get an accurate measurement, the clutch must be torqued properly.

2) Measurement "B" is the distance between the throw out bearing surface to the transmission surface that meets the bell housing. To get an accurate measurement, the slave spring must be removed and the bearing must be fully seated at the bottom of it's travel; resting on the slave's base.

My "B" measurement is quite a bit larger than my "A" measurement. Suggestions? I was going to call Mcleod in the morning. They are closed on Saturday apparently. Oh and yes the spring has been removed. I have not tried to stab the trans on as I have already found an issue.

Last edited by oscs; 07-27-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not a long-crank early truck LS_ engine is it? If the crank sticks out past the seal somewhere over .400", it's one of those and starter engagement would be an additional issue.

Is it the short (LS1 F-body) slave or taller (CTS-V and other later-model) slave?
If the latter, try the former.

Is it the 98-02 F and 04-06 GTO bellhousing or the longer CTS-V bell?
If the former, try the latter.

Re-verify spline engagement, driveline length, and especially pilot engagement with any changes.

Feels like everything old is new again, as they say.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 PM
8 Second Club

Has no one else had this issue?
Attached Thumbnails Reverse Shim problem-image-606430658.jpg  

Last edited by oscs; 07-27-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 PM
8 Second Club

Does anyone make a spacer that separates the bell housing from the transmission or know another factory bell housing that will work?

Last edited by oscs; 07-26-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't see the pic on my phone....but you've verified that you've got the longer crank from a 99-00 lq4? If so there's not great news for you I'm afraid. There's no easy way (ie, without custom parts) to make that crank work with a t56. My donor lq4 had the long crank and I had to swap it for a short one. Luckily I caught it before building the motor though. You've got to space everything back .400" and figure out how to make the starter reach that far.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Can't see the pic on my phone....but you've verified that you've got the longer crank from a 99-00 lq4? If so there's not great news for you I'm afraid. There's no easy way (ie, without custom parts) to make that crank work with a t56. My donor lq4 had the long crank and I had to swap it for a short one. Luckily I caught it before building the motor though. You've got to space everything back .400" and figure out how to make the starter reach that far.
Luckily I've verified the crank to be the short version.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Luckily I've verified the crank to be the short version. I've also figured out this combo was running a textrailia OZ 700 and flywheel with no issues before.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What slave are you using and what bellhousing are you using?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
What slave are you using and what bellhousing are you using?
Stock GTO
Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

I spoke with Lee@mcleod today and he suggested that I was measuring wrong. He wants me to measure from the face of the block to the fins of the clutch. He also wants me to re install the bell housing on to the transmission and measure from the face of the face of the bell housing (surface that meets the block) to the throw out bearing surface WITH the spring attached and compressed.

Measurement A should be as follows 3.450
Measurement B should be as follows 3.650

All the info I read was telling me that measurement A needed the bell housing to be mounted to the block but I will enlighten him.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by oscs
I spoke with Lee@mcleod today and he suggested that I was measuring wrong. He wants me to measure from the face of the block to the fins of the clutch. He also wants me to re install the bell housing on to the transmission and measure from the face of the face of the bell housing (surface that meets the block) to the throw out bearing surface WITH the spring attached and compressed.

Measurement A should be as follows 3.450
Measurement B should be as follows 3.650

All the info I read was telling me that measurement A needed the bell housing to be mounted to the block but I will enlighten him.
Doesn't make a lot of sense, but, it is what it is.

You need to measure like the write up says, you need to verify the spring is off the slave and that it is fully compressed (IE the plastic bearing piece is against the aluminum housing) if the slave doesn't fully compress you need to crack the bleeder and compress the slave fully. Once this is done you can measure accurately and give us the dimensions.

You'll want to shoot for a .125" gap on the McLeod twin, that will give you room for wear, etc. as you use the clutch. Make sure you measure with a good set of digital calipers and the straight edge you are using is indeed straight.

Report back what you find.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 PM
8 Second Club

This is as far back as I can get the throw out bearing without the spring on. Is this right? I have cracked the bleeder but it hasn't made a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Reverse Shim problem-image-3524395985.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM
FormerVendor

This is as far back as I can get the throw out bearing without the spring on. Is this right? I have cracked the bleeder but it hasn't made a difference.
Don't be afraid to push harder, it needs to/must bottom out.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM
8 Second Club

Don't be afraid to push harder, it needs to/must bottom out.
The inside plastic piece is bottomed out. With the way it sits now I am getting a consistant .035 to .075 gap with "A" actually being longer which is good!

I'll try to push and see if I can get it to go down more.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

The inside plastic piece is bottomed out. With the way it sits now I am getting a consistant .035 to .075 gap with "A" actually being longer which is good!

I'll try to push and see if I can get it to go down more.
If it will not go down any further buy a new slave cylinder, this is an issue and you cannot use these measurements to accurately determine whether it's going to work or not.

Trust me, I've done this a few times.

More gap would be good... but I'm guessing that gap is going to be quite a bit larger than you want.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM
8 Second Club

If it will not go down any further buy a new slave cylinder, this is an issue and you cannot use these measurements to accurately determine whether it's going to work or not. Trust me, I've done this a few times. More gap would be good... but I'm guessing that gap is going to be quite a bit larger than you want.
Well you where right. I hammered down on that throw out bearing and she bottomed out! Looks like I have a .300 or so gap on it now. Seriously man thanks a lot!

Do you sell shims?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Well you where right. I hammered down on that throw out bearing and she bottomed out! Looks like I have a .300 or so gap on it now. Seriously man thanks a lot!

Do you sell shims?
No worries at all!

That sounds more like it when you have a disengagement issue.

Get a hold of the guys at Tick Performance, they have shims on the shelf ready to ship and they're good guys.

Good luck with the setup, let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Hammers always work wonders ! lol
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Hammers always work wonders ! lol
yeah but they've got me into A LOT of trouble too. I was most pleased to find out it was just the salve not be compressed all the way down.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did u order a shim?

Quick Reply: Reverse Shim problem