Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help on quote for T56 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help on quote for T56 Rebuild

Hey all, I'm a bit of newb when it comes to trans repair work on the 4th Gen F-Bodies. All my experience is with the 2nd gens transmissions.

Took my 2002 TA to a shop and they are quoting me $1800 for a full rebuild. Seems high compared to prices I saw advertised at Tick etc...

They said the primary reason the quote was high was because the main shaft was damaged which after more discussion they said really meant the splines were worn out where the 5th and 6th gears rings attach? They said the main shaft needed to be replaced and this was a $600-$700 part alone. I can do a little research on that but wanted to mention it here. He also talked about a bearing kits and some other things.

The TA has just over 100k miles on it and the trans/clutch has never had any service work performed other than fluid changes.

So my questions are:

Is this actually a common problem? He stated he has had to replace the main shaft on every T-56 he's ever rebuilt and that its a common problem.

If that is the case is that quote for a rebuild comparable to what others have seen?

The trans is out of the car at this point. Would my money be better spent shipping the trans off to Tick or comparable other shop?

Thanks all.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I'd call Tick or RPM and discuss this with those guys on the phone. This way you get direct answers from the guys who do this on a daily basis and you don't have to wait for someone on the forum to respond, not to mention hope that they give you sound advice and information.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're comparing a disassembled unit quote that includes R&R to a price with shipping that would also go up with additional worn or damaged parts. Very apples to oranges.

Further, what upgrades are being installed?

Yes, it's common. With high mileage, he 5-6 cluster gear and mainshaft wear underneath 6th and on the splines under 5th. That's adding hundreds to the cost.

Ask your shop to show you the measurements on the o.d. under 6th and the splines under 5th on the mainshaft. Tick doesn't let wear like that go into one of their rebuilds either.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Appreciate the quick replies. Definitely realize the shop quote includes labor that is not built into the Tick quotes for the R&R portion. The quote does not include any upgrades or improvements just replacements with OEM parts. We had a separate discussion on replacing the clutch with an upgraded clutch but did not discuss any upgrades on the trans. Truthfully I wouldn't know what to ask for. I did some reading in the forum last night and have an idea what you guys are doing for improvements during rebuilds but still not smart enough yet to know what to ask for. I looked through some of the stickied posts. Is there one that really covers those "Must Have" and "Should have" upgrades?

That last fact was really my thought on going with a shop like Tick. Similar cost but with upgrades/improvements. I did some research on the Main Input Shaft and found it for sale everywhere for about $225 so I'm not sure why the shop is quoting me $600-$700 for that part unless that includes labor.

I'll give Tick a call and discuss it with them to get more info from them.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Talked to Tick, looks like costs are pretty comparable when you consider cost of the additional parts and that the shop here has to charge labor for R&R. Now the only thing bothering me is the $600-$700 they quoted me for a $220 part. I'm sure there's an uplift on parts that contributes to their profit margin. They have to make money, I get that, but that's a lot.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

The input shaft you refer to is not the mainshaft.

But both are $250 parts.

mainshaft

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...2C-%23A43.html

Input shaft ( many sites seem to list this part as unavailable )

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...3B2%252d1.html
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Input Shaft and 2nd Gear are on back order from Tremec. Hawks has them on their site but can't get them.

Quick Reply: Help on quote for T56 Rebuild