Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Nv3500

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Nv3500

I've been researching but haven't been able to find a solid answer on how strong or weak the NV3500 is. There is someone with one behind an 8.1 with no issues and at the same time one behind a 4.3. Most of the people that say they are crap have never pushed power through them. So the question for people who have broke one themselves, what is the weak point that broke and how much power/torque did you have? And please don't just tell me to get a t56 and the whole deal about taking a shortcut on a build. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by simman22
I've been researching but haven't been able to find a solid answer on how strong or weak the NV3500 is. There is someone with one behind an 8.1 with no issues and at the same time one behind a 4.3. Most of the people that say they are crap have never pushed power through them. So the question for people who have broke one themselves, what is the weak point that broke and how much power/torque did you have? And please don't just tell me to get a t56 and the whole deal about taking a shortcut on a build. Thanks!
They are not the strongest 5 speeds out there and also no upgrades available to help it hold. It can be installed as I have done it before but I don't have a high hp motor pushing its limits.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The biggest issues with this unit are the 10 spline input shaft that will surely twist under enough power and the poorly designed bearings used in it. I personally wouldn't expect it to handle much more than about 500 hp in a non towing application. There are zero upgrades for it outside an after market shifter.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AMP-D
The biggest issues with this unit are the 10 spline input shaft that will surely twist under enough power and the poorly designed bearings used in it. I personally wouldn't expect it to handle much more than about 500 hp in a non towing application. There are zero upgrades for it outside an after market shifter.
I agree on the bearings. They use a sealed roller bearing vs. a tapered bearing. This doesn't all you to preload the input shaft or cluster making them loose. Maybe machining the trans to accept tapered bearing would help? Or maybe the brass rings will cause an issue with them being tighter…
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Not worth the headaches. Its like trying to teach a pig to water ski. The NV3500 was never designed to be a performance unit. It does the job of a light duty 1/2 ton transmission for most people and thats exactly what it was designed for. If the above person wants a unit similar in size to the NV3500, go with a TKO unit with a mid shift conversion.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

O.P, how much rw/power are you looking to make?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

It was more of an informational question really. While I was searching I found countless open questions asking about them and none were really helpful like this has been. It gets confusing to see one bolted to an 8.1 and the guy has been running it for two years haha.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I own a

Originally Posted by simman22
02 gmc sierra 1500 4.3l v6 5speed manual tranny (NV3500). It has been making the whining noise for bout 10 years. Had replaced slave cylinder and clutch kit and ever since it's made that noise. I've pulled a 32ft long flatbed trailer with a john deere backhoe that would damn near lift the rear axle off the ground as I was coming to a stop or a turn, talk bout pulling some weight. Never had any problems with tranny torque power was superb I couldn't be more Happy. The slave cylinder is another issue though, the quick connects on hose to master cylinder leaks slot
Old 05-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

My neighbor pounded on one with a carbed 6.0 in his 67 C10 and didn't break it. But 3rd gear started popping out eventually. He gave it to me when he upgraded to a t56. I plan on using it in my Beretta RWD conversion. I'm using a 4.8 and the Beretta tires are 225/45/17, so I'm hoping it will live a while.
There's one in my offroad beater blazer too and it seems fine for everything I'm doing.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had one in my brand new 96 s10 back in the day,i got a LT1 from a vette and i was younger then and i raced the hell out of that truck,i cruised looking for mustangs,camaros,ss impalas and ate them up,it was fast as hell and i went cruising every wed.nite,and fri.& sat nite and dogged on it hard.the only time it messed up was i had a long drive way that i had to back out of and it started popping out of gear in reverse then i went on a long trip and 5th gear started popping out so i had it fixed and the guy was like it was something simple i dont remember but i was only charged 275.00 then back to racing.

so i wanted to do it one more time,i bought a 05 blazer last year and did the infamous LS 6.0 swap from a truck and installed cam,got a tune and i must say im super bummed,it has no bottom end power AT ALL,im making 384 hp to the tires and only 344 fpt to the tires so i know the same 5 speed that my blazer has in it will hold up if i can get the thing going.the previous owner sold it with the input shaft bearing fried so i had to buy a new trans and just installed it the other day.

like always im having hell bleeding this thing to get it out of the garage.

Quick Reply: Nv3500