Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dropping the tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping the tranny.

I'm about to drop my 6 speed transmission to replace my rear main seal. any advice or tips. Will the top two bolt on the bell housing be ridiculous hard to reach ?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Taking them off is the easy part, putting them back on is the hard part. What I did is take a bunch of extensions and took the screws off inside the cabin going through the shifter hole.

Also use this opportunity to hook up a speed bleeder if you don't have one already.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Taking them off is the easy part, putting them back on is the hard part. What I did is take a bunch of extensions and took the screws off inside the cabin going through the shifter hole.

Also use this opportunity to hook up a speed bleeder if you don't have one already.
Thank you for the advise. I just dropped the drive shaft and torque arm and unplugged all the wires going to tranny. Tomorrow I will get to pull it
Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pulled my tranny a few days ago. Getting to the top bolts is a pain.I used a **** load of extensions thru the bottom of the car.Probably better to go thru the shifter hole.Getting the car back together is another story.You will learn the shortcuts once you've done it.
The speed bleeder is a must.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tick remote bleeder and a power bleeder turns bleeding you master/slave into a 30 second job
Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transwiz
I just pulled my tranny a few days ago. Getting to the top bolts is a pain.I used a **** load of extensions thru the bottom of the car.Probably better to go thru the shifter hole.Getting the car back together is another story.You will learn the shortcuts once you've done it.
The speed bleeder is a must.
Where do I get one at orileys or summit ???
Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
A tick remote bleeder and a power bleeder turns bleeding you master/slave into a 30 second job
AMEN brother! Order from tick performance. I don't care if you look at it as expensive. Bleed the clutch from brand new one time without and one time with. Then thank maroonls1z for telling you about it. It's a 3-ft bleeder extension that allows you to sit in the car and control the bleeder valve and clutch pedal at the same time.

To get to those bolts you asked about, lowes has 20" ratchet extensions. One of these combined with a shorter one reaches the bolts through the shifter hole. 2 will give you access from under the car behind the tail shaft. Let the trans hang to create space.

Reassembly is the real fun part. It's really heavy in the tail shaft and wants to roll toward the passenger side.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM

Also, quick lesson learned the hard way. Too much grease on the input shaft makes installation a tad easier, but made my clutch chatter for a few hundred miles until the grease burned off. Go easy on any lubes you use on reassembly
Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the remote bleeder up and around the steering column and under the break booster so it comes out by the master reservoir. I attach my motive power bleeder and just open the valve and done
Old 08-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

The hardest part I had was putting the tranny back in, it kept hitting the tunnel about 3 inches out. I had to separate the bell house and bolt that up first then the tranny. How to you adjust the clutch mine doesn't grab until about half way released but when I dropped tranny clutch appears to be semi new still !
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by MaroMobZ28
The hardest part I had was putting the tranny back in, it kept hitting the tunnel about 3 inches out. I had to separate the bell house and bolt that up first then the tranny. How to you adjust the clutch mine doesn't grab until about half way released but when I dropped tranny clutch appears to be semi new still !
No joke. I ended up putting a jack under the tail. Pump up, tighten bolts, lower, tighten bolts, rinse and repeat. Pain in the a$$

Quick Reply: Dropping the tranny.