Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

c5 t56 reverse lock out not working

Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5 t56 reverse lock out not working

My reverse lockout stopped working the other day.

In searching the forums for a solution, I've found many people say they do not feel you need a reverse lock out. In my vehicle it is extremely difficult to find 5th gear without it. I end up hitting reverse nearly every time and grinding. When I try to go back to 5th I usually end up hitting 3rd. I have to be very precise and have very careful movements to actually get it into 5th.

So my question is:
1) Are there any common failures to cause the reverse lock out not to work?

2) What would be up with my transmission that would make 5th so difficult to find considering most people say the reverse lock out is not necessary and is often disabled?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanbgb22

In searching the forums for a solution, I've found many people say they do not feel you need a reverse lock out. In my vehicle it is extremely difficult to find 5th gear without it. I end up hitting reverse nearly every time and grinding. When I try to go back to 5th I usually end up hitting 3rd. I have to be very precise and have very careful movements to actually get it into 5th.

So my question is:
1) Are there any common failures to cause the reverse lock out not to work?

2) What would be up with my transmission that would make 5th so difficult to find considering most people say the reverse lock out is not necessary and is often disabled?
When people discuss the lockout not working they are usually referring to the solinoid that defeats the lockout and makes it easier to get the car into reverse.

And you get the inevitable back-and-forth about whether you need it or not ( variables such as strength of driver's right arm, shifter set up and available leverage etc etc)

In any case, your problem sounds like the opposite - as though the lockout has become weak (must be a spring in there somewhere) I would consult a transmission shop/expert about the possibility of replacing the lockout mechanism itself.

Hope this is helpful.
Jon
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why don't you enlighten us with what shifter you are using. Stock T56?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanbgb22
What did it stop doing? No longer easily allowing you into reverse at idle / park? Or no longer keeping the shifter away from the reverse gate?

If the former, troubleshoot whether the electric is switching at the solenoid. If the latter, remove the solenoid and lockout assembly to determine if the solenoid, spring or sliding piston piece(s) are broken.

In my vehicle it is extremely difficult to find 5th gear without it. I end up hitting reverse nearly every time and grinding.
The only lateral detent in a C5 is going to be the vertical detent's spring-loaded ball into the 5-6 dimple of the guide plate: http://www.thegearbox.org/i/guide_plate.jpg and of course the left (of 1-2) side and right (rev. lockout) side.

Separation of the shifter from the trans. is going to reduce feel; a more directly connected shifter is going to allow more shifting "by feel".
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

either the signal wiring is now bad or the solenoid is. check voltage signal at connector.

I don't have a C5 but if reverse lockout is like F-body where PCM commands it open under 3MPH you should get a active voltage reading with key on.

IMHO you should have it functioning.

1. you don't have to "fight" to get into reverse
2. you won't buzz reverse when up/down shifting into 5th (although some claim they can "feel" their way around it.)

On a T56 conversion I did on another car I just wired the reverse solenoid to brake pedal. For me having my foot on brake when shifting to reverse is SOP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 t56 reverse lock out not working