Pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure plate

Sup tech,

could not find my answer in search function

Will an LS6 clutch and slave fit on a STOCK ls1 clutch assembly?

I'm about to replace the RMS, and am upgrading to the ls6

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by BEAST_WS6M6; 09-07-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what you're actually asking here...

Are you asking if a LS6 pressure plate will work on a factory LS1 flywheel? Are you asking if a "LS6 slave" will work on a factory clutch assembly (or even the one you're referencing)?
  • What car are we working with?
  • What power does it make?
  • How are you driving it?
  • How are you actually using it?
  • What are your habits?
  • Mod list

Give me some information on your questions and setup and I'll help out if possible.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I'm not sure what you're actually asking here...

Are you asking if a LS6 pressure plate will work on a factory LS1 flywheel? Are you asking if a "LS6 slave" will work on a factory clutch assembly (or even the one you're referencing)?
  • What car are we working with?
  • What power does it make?
  • How are you driving it?
  • How are you actually using it?
  • What are your habits?
  • Mod list

Give me some information on your questions and setup and I'll help out if possible.
00 formula ws6
Stock power,
Daily driving
Only for dd and some wot
No habits whatsoever
No mods

I'm asking if an ls6 clutch will fit on an ls1 pp , ls1 and ls6 are interchangeable I'm assuming?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BEAST_WS6M6
00 formula ws6
Stock power,
Daily driving
Only for dd and some wot
No habits whatsoever
No mods

I'm asking if an ls6 clutch will fit on an ls1 pp , ls1 and ls6 are interchangeable I'm assuming?
Ah, I see.

The LS6 clutch will work with the LS1 flywheel.

Though I'm not a fan it should hold around 300-350 rwhp.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Ah, I see.

The LS6 clutch will work with the LS1 flywheel.

Though I'm not a fan it should hold around 300-350 rwhp.
A local has the clutch, slave, pb and align tool for a killer deal and I do not plan on modifying at all. .but may I ask why your not a 'fan'?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the ls6 clutch just doesnt hold all that much power, you can usually get a much better clutch to hold more power for around the same price that will drive the same. the main problem with the ls6 though is the pressure plate which uses diaphragm springs to "adjust" itself throughout its life to keep the pedal the same.

problem with this is that as the clutch ages the springs can make it hard to shift at high rpm causing block outs which people consistently blame on hydraulics...not to say the stock hydraulics are ok, because theyre not. however the bad clutch design doesnt help the issue.... if you dont mind telling what are you paying for everything local
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
the ls6 clutch just doesnt hold all that much power, you can usually get a much better clutch to hold more power for around the same price that will drive the same. the main problem with the ls6 though is the pressure plate which uses diaphragm springs to "adjust" itself throughout its life to keep the pedal the same.

problem with this is that as the clutch ages the springs can make it hard to shift at high rpm causing block outs which people consistently blame on hydraulics...not to say the stock hydraulics are ok, because theyre not. however the bad clutch design doesnt help the issue.... if you dont mind telling what are you paying for everything local
Is that why people upgrade to an aftermarket mc? Should I just stick to the ls1 clutch then? I believe my car has the stock clutch and it's sitting at 96k, and I have no problems whatsoever, I do some WOT pulls and the gear changes are normal. The seller wants 150 I believe, I can maybe negotiate. I'm assuming it's a good deal
Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Well said, it's a lacking design as a whole - from plate load/lift/release to the frictions and the SAC part of the pressure plate, it's just not a good setup.

Is that why people upgrade to an aftermarket mc? Should I just stick to the ls1 clutch then? I believe my car has the stock clutch and it's sitting at 96k, and I have no problems whatsoever, I do some WOT pulls and the gear changes are normal. The seller wants 150 I believe, I can maybe negotiate. I'm assuming it's a good deal
Yes, and other reasons.

If it were me I'd run a Monster, I like doing things right the first time and not having to go back at a later date when I decide to do something else to the car. I am a bit biased though...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 PM
FormerVendor

The seller wants 150 I believe, I can maybe negotiate. I'm assuming it's a good deal
There is no such thing as a "good/strong" clutch for $150... not even for a Honda.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

There is no such thing as a "good/strong" clutch for $150... not even for a Honda.
The ls6 kit he has is oem, I believe he bought it but changed his mind.

Would the monster setup work with stock hydraulics? I'm kind of on a budget and the thing that really sets me back is the aftermarket mc's, they're really expensive. Any other setup alternatives you guys can recommend?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

monsters will work fine with stock hydraulics as should most any aftermarket clutch.... I had the stock ls6 in mine it looks just like the stock ls1 with a slightly different PP. Same crappy design though. My ls6 did ok for light DD duties but I killed it fairly quick. After driving an aftermarket clutch you will never go back...

Then after that drive one with a tick m/c and you'll find yourself spending 3xx for one of those lol
Old 09-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

When I pulled mine out, I thought it looked like it was supposed to self adjust. Thank you! When I couldn't fix my clutch with a new master, I replaced the clutch and guessed that this was the problem, but I couldn't confirm it for sure.

Quick Reply: Pressure plate