Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this a good rebuilt kit? Tremec Level 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good rebuilt kit? Tremec Level 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1-LS1-Tremec-T56-6-Speed-Level-2-Rebuild-Kit-Package-/291240141220?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cf43e1a4&vxp=mtr
Took my transmission out of my car to replace the slave cylinder. Took it to a shop to have them check the synchros since my 4th is grinding. Of course it's a shop, so "why don't we just rebuilt the whole tranny for you? Parts will be $1300+labor charges." I actually decided to go ahead with the tranny rebuilt, but I'm not relying on their pricing. This Tremec level 2 rebuilt kit is $500. Includes everything that other guys on this forum recommended me to use. Would you guys recommend it? Does it have all the seals that I should be replacing while it's torn down? Thanks for all replies.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

On a manual car, those rebuild kits are always misleading. Not because they aren't good parts, but because that's only a part of what you will need. There is often much more to repair/replace than just the keys, springs, synchro rings, the shift fork, and the other little items they include there. There may be gears needing to be replaced, synchro sliders needing replaced, or other various parts. The stuff included in that kit is really just the bare minimum. I'm guessing they already have the trans apart? If so, ask them to give you a rundown on everything that's needing replaced. If you feel like you would know what you are looking at, I'd even ask to see the parts they have out of the trans they are replacing to determine if they are in need of replacing. The best way to determine cost of a manual rebuild is to tear it down first and see what needs replacing. There's no way to tell when driving it/listening to it all that needs done.

Aside from the tailshaft seal (included in the kit you posted), there really aren't any seals to replace when rebuilding the T56. It's all RTV silicone gasket maker between the major case pieces. You will want a snap ring kit as well when rebuilding, which should be about $30.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Is this a good rebuilt kit? Tremec Level 2