Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS9 clutch in 2007 C6 with Tilton slave..slave/PP gap issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS9 clutch in 2007 C6 with Tilton slave..slave/PP gap issues

2007 C6

Just installed a 418 LS3 and for the clutch we used a LS9 kit from Katech in conjunction with a stock ZR1 slave and tick master cylinder.

Got everything installed, worked beautifully. Shifted fine, engagement was obviously different than the stock unit but not anything to raise alarms.

Car was baseline tuned initially, then after 300 miles and a oil change it was street tuned and ran pretty hard from what I was told. The clutch kit was used with supposedly low miles, everything checked fine and looked great.

Owner of the car was driving home after the tuning, not being hard on the car and he said the pedal got really hard, and whining could be heard from the clutch area so he killed the car.

As it sits, the pedal is on the floor and very stiff. The car just made it home about an hour ago so I have no real info on it but at this point I'm looking for info or anyone that's had this issue.

I'm hoping that it's hydraulic related and maybe the slave gave up already, of course we won't know anything until we start pulling parts.

So has anyone ever experienced this?

Last edited by The Postman; 10-29-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like this would be a fun car to drive along with a nice clutch setup. I would give us a shout about this issue. Our tech guys can go over some steps to figure out what the issue could be and give you a pretty good diagnosis. Just give us a call or shoot us an email at support@tickperformance.com.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Postman
2007 C6

Just installed a 418 LS3 and for the clutch we used a LS9 kit from Katech in conjunction with a stock ZR1 slave and tick master cylinder.

Got everything installed, worked beautifully. Shifted fine, engagement was obviously different than the stock unit but not anything to raise alarms.

Car was baseline tuned initially, then after 300 miles and a oil change it was street tuned and ran pretty hard from what I was told. The clutch kit was used with supposedly low miles, everything checked fine and looked great.

Owner of the car was driving home after the tuning, not being hard on the car and he said the pedal got really hard, and whining could be heard from the clutch area so he killed the car.

As it sits, the pedal is on the floor and very stiff. The car just made it home about an hour ago so I have no real info on it but at this point I'm looking for info or anyone that's had this issue.

I'm hoping that it's hydraulic related and maybe the slave gave up already, of course we won't know anything until we start pulling parts.

So has anyone ever experienced this?
Those clutches are notorious for coming apart. The rivets that hold the diaphragm springs literally get the tops of them ripped off and it does some goofy things to the way it all feels.

All this said, we've got a few options for the car. Our new LT1-S series twins are fantastic and drive/feel like stock plus take some hellacious abuse!

Let me know if you have any other questions, you can get these from Tick Performance who posted earlier, just let them know!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Just to follow up on this..

Joey and SNL, thanks so much for the feedback. Joey the master you guys designed is a work of art, turns out the owner of the car failed to follow the adjustment directions.

After getting the torque tube separated tonight, we found that the bushing inside the slave had heated itself up to the point of melting and therefor seizing the slave.

Replacing it with a new unit and PROPERLY adjusting the tick and all should be well.

Joey, if the tick was adjusted too far out, would it have caused the slave to stay partially engaged with the pressure plate? I feel like this is what happened, and I'm hoping the lack of adjustment was the culprit.

Thanks in advance gents.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Postman
Just to follow up on this..

Joey and SNL, thanks so much for the feedback. Joey the master you guys designed is a work of art, turns out the owner of the car failed to follow the adjustment directions.

After getting the torque tube separated tonight, we found that the bushing inside the slave had heated itself up to the point of melting and therefor seizing the slave.

Replacing it with a new unit and PROPERLY adjusting the tick and all should be well.

Joey, if the tick was adjusted too far out, would it have caused the slave to stay partially engaged with the pressure plate? I feel like this is what happened, and I'm hoping the lack of adjustment was the culprit.

Thanks in advance gents.
Man that stinks!

Just an FYI we offer a billet steel replacement part for that, it replaces the crappy plastic piece so that won't happen again.

As far as the master causing the slave to pre-load, that would be a negative. Those tolerances are set up in the installation and shimming, or lack there of.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

After some more research on the issue, we found that this isn't a random event. Dozens of people using the ZR1 slave have had failures. After speaking with Katech they informed us of a bad batch of slaves where the bearings failed prematurely, looks like we'll be ordering one of the billet replacement units that utilizes a steel bushing instead of plastic.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Bumping this back up.

My buddy went ahead and ordered the katech slave setup with the Tilton slave body. We figured out with 100% certainty that the LS9 setup is from Lingenfelter.

We installed the slave and using the method from Tick, took measurements to verify correct air gap.

At this time I have about .080" of interference with the pressure plate. I'm not even sure how this is possible, a purpose built slave setup for a stock style clutch is off almost .200" from where it needs to be??? I don't even think there's .200" of adjustment before the slave bottoms on the threaded sleeve.

I let everything sit and I'll be going back today and double checking the measurements, but at this time it looks like I'll have to thread the slave body itself farther down onto the katech sleeve.

Quick Reply: LS9 clutch in 2007 C6 with Tilton slave..slave/PP gap issues