Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Hall Effect VSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Hall Effect VSS

Hello,

I am currently swapping a T56 transmission from an LS1 Camaro into my 1968 Camaro. I want to maintain the reverse lockout solenoid. My car has a Holley HP EFI system on it which is capable of controlling the reverse lockout if I can provide the Holley computer with a Hall effect VSS signal. The problem is, the LS1 T56 has a VR analog signal, which is not compatible with the Holley HP ECU. I have read that the viper T56 uses a Hall Effect VSS, but I can't confirm if I can simply swap sensors. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to put a Hall Effect sensor in an LS1 T56? If I can't do it, I can simply run one of these: click. But I liked the idea of integrating this into the computer I have, if practical.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, but then so will most "tach adaptor" type devices too.

Or google VR signal conditioner
Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reply.

I am not sure I understand, though. Looking up tach adapters, it seems they convert a square wave into a sine wave so old tachs can operate off of square wave outputs from ignition boxes. I need to do the opposite - convert a sine wave to a square wave. The VR signal conditioner does that, but it is complicated (to me, anyway).

The easiest thing would be to find Hall effect sensor that bolts directly in place of the existing sensor in my T56. The viper sensor would work if it would fit, but it looks different in pictures. It doesn't seem to have a provision for an O-ring to seal.

Does anyone know of a Hall effect sensor that will swap in directly?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You can get tach adaptors or signal conditioners that convert VR signals into a digital signal.

Or maybe try and buy a Viper sender ? Bound to make it work somehow ?

Quick Reply: T56 Hall Effect VSS