Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pneumatic brake bleeder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pneumatic brake bleeder?

Is this safe to use on the clutch hydraulics? I bought one for brakes job, but should also work on the bleeder at the slave (I have a tick remote bleeder line) My only fear is that it possibly creates too much vacuum and could trash the seals in the MC. There is no vacuum gauge. I am familiar with the other methods, but this one would save a lot of time, if its safe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html
Old 11-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I'd like to know as well....having issues right now bleeding my system
Old 11-10-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

I also need to add that I just added a Tick MC and this was the 1st time it was bled. FWIW I also bench bled.
Do you have the remote bleeder line? I ended up just using the reservoir fill bottle that comes in that kit, it has a valve to open|close and goes into your MC reservoir. I had my wife pump and hold the clutch while I opened and closed the remote bleeder, only to 3-4 attempts and it was done, 5 mins tops with the remote bleeder line.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Yes i have a remote bleeder.. I was just going to bleed it to make sure all of the air was out of the system.. After the first bleed i lost pedal and it wont come back. I've tried multiple different ways of bleed it and got no luck.. I think the MC seal or something went out (even though i was just driving it the day i started all this). I'm getting black chunks in the fluid and its blackish looking.. Thats what makes me think a seal went.. I hope that its the MC and not the slave.. really dont want to drop the freaking trans!! I used Mity Vac to do the bleeding once i lost the pedal. Wish me luck...
Old 11-10-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

That sounds like the MC, have had the same thing happen in my previous 01 NBM Z/28. The MC got to the point where the pedal was just about dead, had to pump repeatedly to drive it, hydraulic fluid got nasty right away, rolled the dice on being the MC and came up aces. Does it make any squeaky noises when pushing in the clutch? Would also check for leaks under the car etc.

The Slave itself is a very simple design, just one big seal inside the slave body that pushes the release bearing assembly. However if that is the cause, will suck to pull that trans. I bought a low profile tranny jack from harbor freight for 80-90 bucks, was a life saver when I pulled my T56 for a rebuild.

If using a mity vac, make sure to not go over 10 or 15 inches of vacuum, that could be bad for the seals.

FWIW O'Reilly's sells a decent steel bodied OEM style MC for 60-70 bucks, but if you are willing to spend a little more, the Tick MC works like a champ. Pedal has never felt better and returns instantly/forcefully. This is the 2nd one I have installed, also had one in my C5Z.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Yes the pedal makes a squishing sound...not really squeaking. I picked up a Ram adjustable MC today.. I'm gonna try to put it in tomorrow. I'm going to do some more work and hopefully save myself some heartache..I'm going to move the brake MC and brake booster out of the way. I've been told theres only 4 bolts holding the booster to the firewall. I'm all about smarter not harder..learned that through owning 10 F-bodies. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: pneumatic brake bleeder?