Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing!!! Need answer please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing!!! Need answer please!!!

So I need an answer ASAP. Just put in the new needle pilot bearing after having my tranny out and rebuilt. I put in the bearing UNGREASED without even thinking about it. After going through hell putting the tranny back in, I realized, should I have greased that pilot bearing??? I am getting different answers everywhere I go! I really don't want to have to take it back out. What do you guys recommend?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

you don't grease it..well according to the installation instructions I had from Monster|SNL for my stage II. The needle bearings in the pilot bearing assembley come pre-lubed. I polished the end of my input shaft with a cotton wheel on my drill, put a very light coat of grease on the end of the input shaft, but did not pack that bearing at all. You don't want grease getting flung all over the flywheel and clutch.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
you don't grease it..well according to the installation instructions I had from Monster|SNL for my stage II. The needle bearings in the pilot bearing assembley come pre-lubed. I polished the end of my input shaft with a cotton wheel on my drill, put a very light coat of grease on the end of the input shaft, but did not pack that bearing at all. You don't want grease getting flung all over the flywheel and clutch.
I agree.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As mentioned the grease is primarily for the input shaft to slide in easily, added benefit is extra lubrication but it is not needed
Old 12-01-2014, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Indeed.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Ive always put a little extra heavy bearing grease in mine. I don't put in gobs of it though, just a little and work the bearing with a finger to get it packed in with the other grease, wipe any excess off the exterior with a rag and done.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing!!! Need answer please!!!