Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

scatter shield question, diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default scatter shield question, diameter?

I am considering an QuickTime Bellhousing/scatter shield.
This will be for a swap with a tight trans tunnel as I have moved the engine back several inches towards the fire wall.

Is the outer diameter of the bell housing the same or larger than the stock aluminium one?
Are there any protrusions in comparison with the stocker?
The car will be stock (for now) and weigh in about 2850-3050 lbs, minus my 250+ burly self. It's primary duty will be DD, but it will see some "spirited" driving in the twisties, and the occasional hard launch on 245mm tires.
Also, do you guys think it is worth the extra expense for above mentioned tasks?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

are you referring to the RM-9023?

I don't know as I don't use one in terms of its size vs stock LT1 T56 bell housing. Given it bolts up to Lt1 and is motor specific I would think its size is the same

But moving the motor back as you note I suspect will require tunnel modifications for either one. You need to preserve DL angle

While SFI rated is great unless you are making major power launching at high RPM's clutch dump running a tire I would think this is over kill unless you are running a class for NHRA requiring a SFI bell housing in that class
Old 12-26-2014, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. the engine is an LS1. I was hoping to hear that the shield was slightly small than the stock cast bell housing.The tunnel is attached to a nice 83 Supra, and some tunnel mods have been done, it's a bit tight in some spots-it will require some additional "massaging."
I was just considering this route in case of future HP greed/need; )

Quick Reply: scatter shield question, diameter?