Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help : T56 does not go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help : T56 does not go into gear

I have a 99 ls1 engine dropped into a 240sx, just got the thing runnng but cant put it into any gear with the car running. . I bought a brand new exedy corvette oem replacement full face clutch and flywheel. Torqued all the bolts to spec. Bled the system well, my clutch pedal feels nice and stiff. Still unable to put it into gear. To my understandings from the person i bought the clutch from, i will not need any the slave shims to fix this problem.. Need help on this...
Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Welcome to Tech. A moderator will likely move this tot he manual transmission section, so be prepared.

Did you replace the master cylinder? The masters in the F-body are crap
Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 PM

I replaced the master cylinder with a wilwood master cylinder supplied with the complete fueled racing kit. Also bought a brand new GM OEM slave. I've bled it multiple ways from mity vac with fitting from the top of the slave with a rubber puc fitting to mity vac from the bottom, manually having someone pump
Inside..etc.. It seems as if it's not a bleeding concern, maybe indeed a need of a slave spacer. My pedal seems stiff and good. I want to make sure before I order the slave spacer
Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I don't know of a way to *know* you need a spacer without taking the transmission off and taking measurements. How much free play is there in the pedal? On mine, there is about an inch where the pedal is pretty easy to move before it gets difficult. Maybe if there is too much free play that would help you to know you need a spacer.

I'm unfamiliar with the wilwood master. If it is adjustable, maybe just lengthening the rod a bit will fix it.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of a spacer, i'd be more upset over the 4-6 hours pulling and reinstalling the transmission.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Bolo, welcome to LS1tech!

I'm more than happy to be The Moving Man.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

Imo, Monster clutch would have been a better choice since shims are not needed.. But in your case, it may be the pilot bearing.. Had a pilot bearing take a dump on me and prevented me from shifting as well..
Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 PM

@xdeath - thanks. im gonna pull the trans and check it out. what did your pilot bearing look like when it took a dump?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

All of the bearings fell out and were grinded to pieces, plus the bearing housing itself was deformed lol. It was mainly because i beat it in lightly multiple times instead of just three good whacks..

When you go to installing make sure u use a big enough socket and heavier hammer to get it in there with 3 or less hits.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be a barrier of bad news but you know you have to take the whole engine out to undo the trans right?!unless you have the tunnel knocked out real good.

Quick Reply: Need help : T56 does not go into gear