Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO T56 Output Seal Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO T56 Output Seal Squeal?

Quick question for a quick answer.

Had a 50k mile mn12 t56 installed on my fbody. Drove it back and forth to work with the shifter/tranny exposed (center console not installed) and i hear a sharp squeek / squeal from the output seal. Only happens when the driveshaft is spinning and gets louder as i go faster.

Question is, is the seal going bad or in need of lubrication? And if its not lubed, is it necessary to do so?

A shop did the installation since i was lazy not to (hence the center console not being installed yet lol). Won't know if they properly lubed it 'til monday, any input would help,

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A seal will not squeak. If the noise is coming from the rear , it may be the bushing. This could be due to a bent output shaft in the trans. Bushings don't wear unless there are other concerns. Where did the prop shaft come from? Do you know it is properly balanced? Also look at the u-joints.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calhoon
A seal will not squeak. If the noise is coming from the rear , it may be the bushing. This could be due to a bent output shaft in the trans. Bushings don't wear unless there are other concerns. Where did the prop shaft come from? Do you know it is properly balanced? Also look at the u-joints.
If the output shaft was bent wouldn't i notice a vibration? Plus what does this bushing look like? I feel like i might be confusing the bushing with the output seal
Old 02-01-2015, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Does it have the correct front (trans) yoke on the driveshaft??
Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Does it have the correct front (trans) yoke on the driveshaft??
Im pretty sure it does, not sure if it would have fit if it didn't
Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Think i figured it out. I also installed a prothane transmission poly mount and that could have changed the pinion angle to cause the noise. Gonna ride it out for a few weeks 'til it fully breaks in to give an update.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by XDeath
Think i figured it out. I also installed a prothane transmission poly mount and that could have changed the pinion angle to cause the noise. Gonna ride it out for a few weeks 'til it fully breaks in to give an update.
Poly transmission mounts don't typically break in. THere are tons of us on here who have yanked the poly and put a stock transmission mount back in. Myself, I run poly motor mounts and a stock transmission mount. I think you will find that is pretty common.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Poly transmission mounts don't typically break in. THere are tons of us on here who have yanked the poly and put a stock transmission mount back in. Myself, I run poly motor mounts and a stock transmission mount. I think you will find that is pretty common.
You're right, I've seen many ppl on here take the poly mount off because they couldn't take it. But have you guys at least tried to bare with it for a month? The ones that have found them to settle in or "break in" to the stock trans mount height with no vibrations.

Quick Reply: GTO T56 Output Seal Squeal?