Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 - Shifting to 3rd issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 - Shifting to 3rd issue

So last week I may have been over spirited while shifting and now trying to get into 3rd you can feel it hitting bumps (like it's hitting something rotating with bumps on it) or something and grinding and when you do finally get it into 3rd it'll get stuck and you can't get it out... I have stopped using 3rd and just go straight to 4th, but have noticed if I accidentally go into 3rd without thinking about it, it'll shift decently if I'm moving around 2000-2300 rpms. 3rd is the only gear like this - 4th gear has a little rubbing sensation going in but will go in and out fine. I have noticed there is more play in the clutch pedal than normal and you have to go further towards the floor to get it to shift whereas before you'd only have to go halfway down.

Any ideas? I took it to a trans shop for a free diagnosis and obviously that only covers them shifting it and nothing else because then they wanted $750 just to drop the trans and nothing else. So I figured I'd hit the boards first maybe get any ideas.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 main components which are used when shifting into 3rd.

The teeth on the 3rd gear
The blocker ring
The 3/4 synchro

It sounds to me that you are able to shift into 3rd when you are getting the speed synchronized manually. So it might be your blocker ring.

Quick Reply: T56 - Shifting to 3rd issue