Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick (MC) guys come in

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tick (MC) guys come in

Came across a thread on the Tick master cylinder and install. It pointed out how it helps with higher horsepower shifting and what not. I can all ready feel my LS7 clutch acting up when I shift at 7k.

Would this solve any reoccurring issues and help with longevity of the clutch? It has about 2500 miles on it and my car makes just over 400 RWHP.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Tick MC. Wish that would have been my first mod.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lcfdvette
I love my Tick MC. Wish that would have been my first mod.
Do you think it's a worth while mod for the money?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Absolutely! Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lcfdvette
Absolutely! Well worth the money in my opinion.
Just saw you posted a thread about it too lol.

I think it will do well with my MGW shifter!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Absolutely. Before I did it my pedal would be on the floor after 6k shifts. Since then I have done some upgrading, still on a ls7 clutch, made 428/427 to the wheels and shifting at 7k and feel great. I would not thin twice if I were you.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

I have been wanting one for a while now but never wanted to drop the money on it. But with me doing heads and cam here in the next month I knew I had to get it. I mean why spend the money on heads, cam, and a Fab 9 and not be able to shift? That was my thinking.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. Believe it or not, after I swapped to a lid and chrs1313 from the FIPK the clutch has been acting funny.

Looks like I'm buying one soon
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Launching!

OP- I won't lie, it took me a while before breaking down and purchasing a Tick MC. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, and I even went as far as sending a PM to a member here that had an excellent write-up on his build.

My car is a 2002 SS with right at 30,000 original miles. It is bone stock, unmolested, and I track it maybe 2-3 times a year. My clutch pedal just one day started acting up. It went from not wanting to shift at high RPM's to not coming all the way back out. I would have to use my toe to bring the pedal all the way back out. I read countless threads on the "drill mod" and upgrading your MC. I finally broke down and purchased a Tick MC and it has been the best investment since!! Granted, I don't race my car, I tend to baby it when I drive it, but when I do get on it, the shifts are flawless!!

For the entire engine & driveline to be completely stock, including the stock clutch, I couldn't be happier. Well worth the money!!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The shop I've always used for tranny rebuilds since the car left warranty was a local Ford performance shop. They never wanted to use a non-GM master or slave because they never worked right and caused them headaches with customers.

They were skeptical on the Tick MC kit when I told them about it, but when they saw it was based on a Tilton unit and they test drove it, they said they were going to recommend it to all their F-body customers. Not sure when I originally bought it but I've had it for a few years and I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Do the tick . I did a speed bleeder and that was a great investment , well 4 yrs and 13k the new gm master went . So i went with the tick . Wow is it worth it , i havent missed a full throttle 2-3 shift since i did it . It makes it so much better to drive and drive hard . The speed bleeder , tick master and mgw shifter work amazing together.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Do the tick . I did a speed bleeder and that was a great investment , well 4 yrs and 13k the new gm master went . So i went with the tick . Wow is it worth it , i havent missed a full throttle 2-3 shift since i did it . It makes it so much better to drive and drive hard . The speed bleeder , tick master and mgw shifter work amazing together.
Speed bleeder? How often do you use that?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tick here as well and I can do some fancy shifting which couldn't be done through the stock unit
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i use the speed bleeder all the time , probably more than i need to , 500-1000 miles .Its so easy to do , and you can see the fluid coming out clean . Just a nice piece of mind , and the fluid does get dirty fast .
Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Tick MC + MGW Shifter + Monster Level 3 clutch is an amazing combo. You can shift with confidence at any rpm and it just grabs. At times it sounds like I have a SMG transmission
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
i use the speed bleeder all the time , probably more than i need to , 500-1000 miles .Its so easy to do , and you can see the fluid coming out clean . Just a nice piece of mind , and the fluid does get dirty fast .
Same here, it is SOOOO easy that I do it every 2-3 months of daily driving.

Next clutch change I will go for the Tick master. (I'd like to go to a Tilton, Quarter Master, or ap Racing small/light multi-disk road race clutch, but everyone says they are on/off switches, and will burn out in NO time in street/stop and go driving. )
Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tick and speed bleed here as well. Def get the bleeder lol. Shifting at 7k though could be a combo of both the mc and clutch. The ls7 doesn't always like to be shifted high especially with the single cone synchros in our t56s. The vettes get away with it because of their double cone synchros.

The tick mc will make it a lot better and firm the pedal up slightly but don't be surprised if you need a clutch to completely alleviate the issue
Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by CGSmith0524
OP- I won't lie, it took me a while before breaking down and purchasing a Tick MC. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, and I even went as far as sending a PM to a member here that had an excellent write-up on his build.

My car is a 2002 SS with right at 30,000 original miles. It is bone stock, unmolested, and I track it maybe 2-3 times a year. My clutch pedal just one day started acting up. It went from not wanting to shift at high RPM's to not coming all the way back out. I would have to use my toe to bring the pedal all the way back out. I read countless threads on the "drill mod" and upgrading your MC. I finally broke down and purchased a Tick MC and it has been the best investment since!! Granted, I don't race my car, I tend to baby it when I drive it, but when I do get on it, the shifts are flawless!!

For the entire engine & driveline to be completely stock, including the stock clutch, I couldn't be happier. Well worth the money!!
OP, I have a similar story, except I went through several stock MC installs and replacements. At first I thought "No 'F' in way am I paying $300+ for a $50 part at AZ or Napa". Each time, the shifts were fine for about 6 months, and deteriorated. Once they deteriorated, I could not restore performance regardless of bleeding hours. After re-re-repeating the repair, I caved.

I got the tick master and the speed bleeder, and have never looked back. Full disclosure - getting the tick master in place is a b1tch, but keep telling yourself you only have to do this once (it's true). Pull the steering shaft - it makes more room.

NOw as to the speedbleeder being worth it? Took me ten minutes after installing to have the clutch hydraulics road ready. If you have ever bled it the old-fashioned way, you'll know how awesome this is.

Then, you have to set the pedal height just below the brake pedal (as opposed to above it). It sort of takes a day or two to get used to. The bore is >2x larger than the stock, so the pedal does not need to move as far to move the fluid. Once you get used to it, you get very consistent shift performance, very accurate cltuch control, and very firm engagements when you want them.

Honestly one of the best mods I did to the money pit
Old 02-27-2015, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the good posts guys. I'm all about buying quality parts. If I can do poly mm's I'm sure the Tick Mc will be cake lol
Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack ur post but does anyone know who makes this?

Quick Reply: Tick (MC) guys come in