Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Force 9.5 dual

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Force 9.5 dual

Ordered one of these last night, price on Amazon was too good to pass up. Doesn't seem too popular of a clutch, but all the sponsors carry them. Does anyone have personal experience with this clutch?

Looking forward to getting rid of my Spec. Already have a Tick mc so this should be an easy dropp in the next nice weekend we get.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Clutch came in yesterday, it's a really nice piece. Looking forward to installing it. I've never driven a dual clutch or a car with a clutch/flywheel this light so I'm not sure what to expect. The whole assembly only weighs in at around 35 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Ram Force 9.5 dual-20150327_161756.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, I'll be glad to hear how it works for you. I have never used a dual disc clutch but with this new engine Bob Hanlon recommended a Ram RTrack with 900 series disc. Does yours have 300 or 900 series discs?
Old 03-28-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just made a thread in this section on videos of me driving my setup which is in my sig but a few lbs lighter than yours. Should drive very similar. Taking off from a light is a little different but its not bad just needs getting used to. Since it weighs almost 20 lbs less than the stock piece expect a nice performance gain from the lesser inertia of the clutch.

Depending on the clutch material it may or may not like to be slipped. My rst can be slipped pretty easily but the engagement window of a twin disk and single disk are different. Since you are working with twice the material engagement happens much more quickly. Its not an on off switch but the clutch grabs quick and firm
Old 03-30-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! Looks like it's pretty friendly. I was ok with my spec/tick mc until I bought another m6 car recently which has stock hydraulics and an ls6 clutch... Wow, what a difference. Made me realize how stiff and unforgiving the spec really is and why I never liked driving the car. So I'm really looking forward to this upgrade. Was hoping to get it done yesterday but the weather was pretty crappy.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine are the 300 disks btw. The hard part is going to be the break in. Not getting on it for 500 miles is going to be beyond torture.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
I just made a thread in this section on videos of me driving my setup which is in my sig but a few lbs lighter than yours. Should drive very similar. Taking off from a light is a little different but its not bad just needs getting used to. Since it weighs almost 20 lbs less than the stock piece expect a nice performance gain from the lesser inertia of the clutch.

Depending on the clutch material it may or may not like to be slipped. My rst can be slipped pretty easily but the engagement window of a twin disk and single disk are different. Since you are working with twice the material engagement happens much more quickly. Its not an on off switch but the clutch grabs quick and firm

I doubt the rst is anywhere near as light as this thing.

I would expect this clutch to be horrible to drive. Well depending on cam size

Let us know..
Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Subbed to hear how it goes!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
I doubt the rst is anywhere near as light as this thing.

I would expect this clutch to be horrible to drive. Well depending on cam size

Let us know..
Uggh no ram quotes this clutch as being 35 lbs. My rst with a fidanza alum flywheel is the same dia 9.5" and weighs 32-33lbs with the flywheel on my shipping scale weighed before I installed it. A steel flywheel yes it would be in the 43lbs range but not the case with mine. Mine drives great the only thing that would make his worse is the friction material but it looks like his is pretty friendly. Most people who say light clutches drive like crap have never even driven one. Oh and I have a cam.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...00-vs-rst.html
this one was weighed with a mcleod flywheel which is 1.5-2lbs heavier than a fidanza
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ill throw it on a shipping scale and get an accurate measurement of mine later on today. Im going to weigh the old stuff too just to see how heavy it really is... Im guessing at least 45lbs.

As far as my engine, just an LQ4 with an LS6 cam for now. From what Ive read, the 300 organic material should be a bit more forgiving. Considering Im swapping from a Spec Stage 3+, this should be night and day difference.

Got all the old stuff out last night, probably going to have to wait until Sunday for reinstall as its supposed to rain for the next two days. Sucks not having a garage!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Uggh no ram quotes this clutch as being 35 lbs. My rst with a fidanza alum flywheel is the same dia 9.5" and weighs 32-33lbs with the flywheel on my shipping scale weighed before I installed it. A steel flywheel yes it would be in the 43lbs range but not the case with mine. Mine drives great the only thing that would make his worse is the friction material but it looks like his is pretty friendly. Most people who say light clutches drive like crap have never even driven one. Oh and I have a cam.....

this one was weighed with a mcleod flywheel which is 1.5-2lbs heavier than a fidanza
Agreed. These cars have torque, they can handle a light clutch and flywheel. Not only that, a lighter setup is roughly a million times more fun to drive.

Hell, I used to have a torque-less Honda that had a 17lb clutch and flywheel combo. Easy as **** to drive. If you can't handle light setups, they make automatics.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Looks like a decent clutch. I would like to see it be in the 25lb range....but atleast the diameter is cut down a bit to get the MOI down.

You're right 79t/a.....my clutch is 17lb in my camaro and it drives fine. Of course it takes a little to get used to but once you do it's natural. Adjust or eliminating the throttle cracker helps to.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're leaving out the part on how a full size clutch and fly wheel has the weight spread out over a greater area.

Stuff like this and textrailia have all the weight on the center of the flywheel.

Notice the pockets on the outer side??!

You know how weight being swung farther from the center applies a greater force??
Old 04-03-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone's opinion on how something drives is different. If only I can drive it I consider it as driving kinda crappy.
But I also use big cams.
254/265 in my c5.
Way bigger in my c6.

I'm sure if I had something a little more mild like in the 230 range or whatever some people use I might think differently.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
You're leaving out the part on how a full size clutch and fly wheel has the weight spread out over a greater area.

Stuff like this and textrailia have all the weight on the center of the flywheel.

Notice the pockets on the outer side??!

You know how weight being swung farther from the center applies a greater force??
lol yes I know how moments and moi works. But as I said my setup is the same 9.5" dia as the ops setup. So idk how this comment is relevant to what I said. The stock ones yes have more mass on the outside generating more moment and making it easier to drive but again my setup weight and moi wise to the op is about as apples to apples as you can get without it being the same clutch and it drives just fine. His has no pockets its a regular ran billet flywheel what looks like pockets there is the floater plate..
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

So in all the hustle and bustle, I totally forgot to weigh the new one lol. But the old one came in at 52lbs.

Install went well, tough I had a hard time getting the input shaft to seat in the pilot so I had to hesitantly use the bolts to slowly and lightly pull the trans onto the bellhousing. I HATE doing that, but after dropping the trans back down to verify we were still aligned properly, there was no other option.

Ran around today and found the only bronze pilot bushing in the area. The ones I got from napa seemed like they were iron. My input shaft was a little worn from the bearing so I figured a bushing was in order.

Got everything buttoned up tonight, after breakfast tomorrow will fire it up and see how it is!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

ooops

Last edited by Rob WS6; 04-06-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got everything buttoned up today and finally took her for a drive. All I have to say is this clutch is phenomenal! Quick but smooth engagement, very friendly, absolutely not chatter, no noises, pedal is decent, a bit lighter than my Spec Stage 3+ but I cant compare it to stock as Im using a Tick MC. Drivability is great, I cant really see any downside to the lighter weight, at least on my particular setup.

I cant wait to get this break in period over with so I can see what this clutch can really do.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice man. I honestly dont know where the fear of lighter clutches come from... I know my clutch drives better than some of my friends puck clutches that everyone considers DD friendly lol.

I know you can beat on it yet but have you noticed a difference in the response of the car from the lighter weight. I know goosing my car in 1st gear after the install was a lot more responsive
Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not too much yet, was going real easy on it last night. It free revs faster and when changing gears, the rpm falls a little faster to where it should be for the next gear, makes driving smoother. With the old clutch, the rpm would hang when upshifting, I guess from the inertia of the heavy assembly. So far, I can't find any down side to this new clutch! Looking forward to see how well it works at the track too.

Quick Reply: Ram Force 9.5 dual