Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting a new clutch. I have an 01 ws6. I literally have no idea where to start so any advice would be appreciated. I want something that I can still comfortably drive on the street but can still perform on a track when I take it! Also, something that is affordable, nothing too crazy expensive would be nice!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

cost is very subjective... what power do you make an a ballpark estimate on your budget?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Teching In

It is a completely stock car, I do not plan on doing anything super crazy to the car in the future. I just mean in relation to other clutches I don't want to spend the most on the highest brand, or buy the cheapest brand. I would like something in the middle area if that makes sense.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Monster stage 1 would be my recommendation for you.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Monster stage 1 would be my recommendation for you.
Second this. You get a new flywheel with the kit too.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Teching In

What is the difference between all the different stages?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mainly the material of the disk. stg 1 is organic (stock driveability) the stg 2 is a kevlar blend (similar to stock) and then the stg 3 goes to ceramic puck style. the pressure plates are the same the clutch friction materal is what makes them hold more power.

Monster is good, but I'll play devils advocate and say to check out Diamond clutches made by TDP as well. they are a little cheaper if you chose to reuse the stock flywheel and also have a very good rep
Old 03-25-2015, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
mainly the material of the disk. stg 1 is organic (stock driveability) the stg 2 is a kevlar blend (similar to stock) and then the stg 3 goes to ceramic puck style. the pressure plates are the same the clutch friction materal is what makes them hold more power.

Monster is good, but I'll play devils advocate and say to check out Diamond clutches made by TDP as well. they are a little cheaper if you chose to reuse the stock flywheel and also have a very good rep
I've heard good things about diamond clutches as well. I only have personal experience with the stock hydraulics on a worn out ls7 clutch and my monster with all Tick stuff though. How many miles are on your current clutch and flywheel?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Miles are 75k. Will I need a new fly wheel? What are the pros/cons of reusing the fly wheel?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 AM
TECH Veteran

you can have that resurfaced most likely, the pro is much less cost. the con is that the newer clutches are much more aggressive so a harder billet flywheel is preferred. athough with stage 1 kits you probably would be just fine. monster wont sell you a kit without the flywheel where diamond will.

best bet is to give Jason@TDP and Steve@Monster a call and see what both recommend. both are very nice guys to talk to
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 AM

One thing to throw out there is the F-body master cylinder really sucks. You can replace it with a factory one, and it still sucks.

I know it's expensive ($300 vs $75), and it may not be in your budget, but I urge you to consider a tick master cylinder.

I went through several stockers in a year before sprining for the "expensive" tick unit. It only seems expensive until you've done the replacement a few times, and you start to realize your time re-replacing that master isn't worth the savings on parts.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkhamo11
Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting a new clutch. I have an 01 ws6. I literally have no idea where to start so any advice would be appreciated. I want something that I can still comfortably drive on the street but can still perform on a track when I take it! Also, something that is affordable, nothing too crazy expensive would be nice!
For what you want I would check out our Level 2 single disc or our LT1-S street twin. Feel free to give us a call or shoot me a PM if you want to go over details.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Miles are 75k. Will I need a new fly wheel? What are the pros/cons of reusing the fly wheel?
You'd probably be fine to resurface that. I think this sort of depends on what you want to spend, I always like to have new shiny stuff even if you can't see it though.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
One thing to throw out there is the F-body master cylinder really sucks. You can replace it with a factory one, and it still sucks.

I know it's expensive ($300 vs $75), and it may not be in your budget, but I urge you to consider a tick master cylinder.

I went through several stockers in a year before sprining for the "expensive" tick unit. It only seems expensive until you've done the replacement a few times, and you start to realize your time re-replacing that master isn't worth the savings on parts.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am not too great with cars, what is my master cylinder, and what is a tick master cylinder?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

the master cylinder is what you're pushing on when you push the clutch pedal down. it pushes fluid into the slave cylinder which pushes on the clutch to disengage it. The stock one is very tiny and causes shifting problems with some clutch setups or rather most of them. The tick unit is made by tick performance with a tilton brand cylinder (top quality) and fixes all those issues due to its larger size
Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
the master cylinder is what you're pushing on when you push the clutch pedal down. it pushes fluid into the slave cylinder which pushes on the clutch to disengage it. The stock one is very tiny and causes shifting problems with some clutch setups or rather most of them. The tick unit is made by tick performance with a tilton brand cylinder (top quality) and fixes all those issues due to its larger size
What kind of shifting problems are you speaking of?

Also, if I put the monster stage one will I be feeling any of those problems?

Last edited by gkhamo11; 03-30-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

What kind of shifting problems are you speaking of?

Also, if I put the monster stage one will I be feeling any of those problems?
Pedal gets stuck to the floor and high rpm shifting is hard
Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

pretty much that.... and no the aftermarket cltch is actually a better design and will help alleviate those problems but the hydraulics are also still an issue. f you dont race the car much you may not even notice it but its still not good lol. basically 1-2 shift will be fine then when you try to go to 3rd or 4th the pedal will lose pressure and stick to the floor not allowing a shift
Old 03-31-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

But since I am not racing all the time, and not driving the car hard, I should be fine?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 PM

It depends. My car never saw the track, but I drive very "spirited" around town. I had zero luck with a stock replacement. Maybe your experience would be different. If I was a betting man, I'd lay money on a stock replacement not lasting.

And redbird is right about the aftermarket clutch. The stock clutch is self-adjusting, and the adjusting mechanism results in inconsistent clutch pedal travel and return. The monster behaves like a clutch should.

Quick Reply: New Clutch