Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch choices

Car is an ls2 swapped 4th gen. Will be H/C/I next season with a 12 bolt. I am leaning toward a monster stage 2. Does anybody have experience with this clutch on a similar setup or a different clutch on a similar setup.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

So many questions left unanswered...and this question gets asked a lot, a search could help you.

How much power are you planning on making?

How much does the car weigh and what kind of gears do you plan on running?

What will be the primary use of the car? Drag/DD/Auto-X/Trackdays?

Whats your budget like?

Monster has the best warranty in the business, I just picked up their LT1-S Twin setup.

Biggest thing though is you want to get a Tick Master Cylinder and Speed Bleeder - Its worth the money.

Outside of that without knowing your power goals or the other questions above its hard to really know where to start.

Single Monster Stage 2 or 3 fit most applications, if you're on a budget an LS7 with a stock Flywheel might hold depending on how much abuse you put it through.

If you've got a slightly bigger budget the twin setups from Monster or Mcleod are well reviewed, can handle more abuse and will last longer.

Just whatever you do, don't get a Spec.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Blue nailed it, except on one point I would disagree. LS7 clutch feels heavy. I don't know a better way to describe it. Not quite as respnsive on the throttle, and it takes longer to slow back down. Almost like a truck motor.

I drove a friend's LS7 clutched LS1 when I replaced mine, and it convinced me to go monster for the lighter clutch.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakews6
Car is an ls2 swapped 4th gen. Will be H/C/I next season with a 12 bolt. I am leaning toward a monster stage 2. Does anybody have experience with this clutch on a similar setup or a different clutch on a similar setup.
The level 2 is a good choice for a mild build, that is mostly street driven with occasional track outings.

Originally Posted by Blu06R1
So many questions left unanswered...and this question gets asked a lot, a search could help you.

How much power are you planning on making?

How much does the car weigh and what kind of gears do you plan on running?

What will be the primary use of the car? Drag/DD/Auto-X/Trackdays?

Whats your budget like?

Monster has the best warranty in the business, I just picked up their LT1-S Twin setup.

Biggest thing though is you want to get a Tick Master Cylinder and Speed Bleeder - Its worth the money.

Outside of that without knowing your power goals or the other questions above its hard to really know where to start.

Single Monster Stage 2 or 3 fit most applications, if you're on a budget an LS7 with a stock Flywheel might hold depending on how much abuse you put it through.

If you've got a slightly bigger budget the twin setups from Monster or Mcleod are well reviewed, can handle more abuse and will last longer.

Just whatever you do, don't get a Spec.
Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Blue nailed it, except on one point I would disagree. LS7 clutch feels heavy. I don't know a better way to describe it. Not quite as respnsive on the throttle, and it takes longer to slow back down. Almost like a truck motor.

I drove a friend's LS7 clutched LS1 when I replaced mine, and it convinced me to go monster for the lighter clutch.
Thanks for all the kinds words!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r

Do you know what flywheel your friend was running? A stock flywheel with an LS7, I'd assume the MOI and rotating assembly would be about the same as a pure stock LS1 Clutch from the factory, but maybe I'm wrong? The clutch is a bit heavier because of the more agressive PP but I'm trying to understand what would've caused it to feel "sluggish" when compared to a full stock setup.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu06R1
Do you know what flywheel your friend was running? A stock flywheel with an LS7, I'd assume the MOI and rotating assembly would be about the same as a pure stock LS1 Clutch from the factory, but maybe I'm wrong? The clutch is a bit heavier because of the more agressive PP but I'm trying to understand what would've caused it to feel "sluggish" when compared to a full stock setup.
He said he got them as a set - not sure of the flywheel weight. I saw somewhere recently that the LS7 clutch assembly is about 12 pounds heavier than stock LS1. It was on this forum, but I can't remember the exact numbers. AT first, you'd think (as I did before driving it) that 12 pounds is nothing. After all, the crank weighs a lot more than that.

The reason it would feel sluggish is the rotational inertia / momentum is higher, so it takes more energy to change the rotational speed up or down. Also, that mass is far away from the center of rotation, which means that 12 pounds makes a bigger difference than you'd think. The crank weight is closer to center than the flywheel and clutch weight.

This is one of those "I know what I'm trying to say, but I don't think I'm saying it very well" things
Old 04-02-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ls7 clutch and assembly weighs in at 60 pounds I believe, stock ls1 setup is 50 pounds.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Didn't realize the LS7 assembly was 12 lbs heavier - That makes sense it would raise the MOI, along with (I'm assuming) he had a stock weight flywheel and where that could appear to be a tad more sluggish than stock.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

my son has a Monster stage II with 18 pound flywheel in his 02 Camaro 440 rwhp and have all positive comments. he likes it so much he's ready to order another stage II for his 02 t/a build.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
my son has a Monster stage II with 18 pound flywheel in his 02 Camaro 440 rwhp and have all positive comments. he likes it so much he's ready to order another stage II for his 02 t/a build.
Great to hear!!!

Quick Reply: clutch choices