Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I have everything for a clutch swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have everything for a clutch swap?

I'm about to do a heads/cam install and figured I'd do the clutch too (80k miles on the original). But I want to make sure I have all the parts/tools to do it so I'm not hunting around last minute.

Parts:
1) McLeod RXT clutch
2) McLeod steel flywheel
3) Tick speed bleeder
4) GM slave cylinder
5) Rear main seal (while I'm in there)

Tools/Extras:
A) Ratchets/sockets, jack/stands (of course...)
B) 1/2" torque wrench
C) straps/ custom stand to lower transmission

Can you guys think of anything else I may need? Any other parts/tools? Should I be doing anything else under there?

I just realized the Pilot bearing probably doesn't come with the clutch kit: any recommendations?

I'll likely be renting a pilot bearing removal tool from AutoZone.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

for me, I found the rear main easier to replace by just removing the rear cover. if you go this route, you're less likely to scratch something. you'd need a rear cover gasket, and make sure you put some sealant at the bottom corners for reinstall or oil will forever seep out of those corners.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
for me, I found the rear main easier to replace by just removing the rear cover. if you go this route, you're less likely to scratch something. you'd need a rear cover gasket, and make sure you put some sealant at the bottom corners for reinstall or oil will forever seep out of those corners.
Is it really easier? Or can I take my time and get it done without pulling the rear seal off?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Is it really easier? Or can I take my time and get it done without pulling the rear seal off?
You can take your time and do it. For me, I was paranoid of scratching the crank of not getting the seal in perfectly straight, so I pulled the cover.

For the record, I didn't originally plan to pull the cover, but once I got in there, I made the call.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Also, don't be surprised if your master cylinder won't hold up to the new clutch. MIght want to get a couple of shims inc ase the clutch needs it. nothing worse than waiting a few days for a $5 part.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

You can take your time and do it. For me, I was paranoid of scratching the crank of not getting the seal in perfectly straight, so I pulled the cover.

For the record, I didn't originally plan to pull the cover, but once I got in there, I made the call.
I'll have to see it. I'm hoping I can just use a hook to rip it out. I was considering splurging and getting that sacs city corvette tool to install the seal... It looks like it makes it a piece of cake.

Also, don't be surprised if your master cylinder won't hold up to the new clutch. MIght want to get a couple of shims inc ase the clutch needs it. nothing worse than waiting a few days for a $5 part.
I'll have to measure the clutch. I was told the mcleod drops right in with a new slave and really no need to shim. But I'll meausre to be sure
Old 04-08-2015, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still haven't changed the clutch yet huh? Here's some info from your other thread to refresh your memory.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l#post18163887
Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by guppymech
Still haven't changed the clutch yet huh? Here's some info from your other thread to refresh your memory.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l#post18163887
Short term memory problems... Just ask the wife.

I'll give it a read thru again. Thanks for digging it up: I forgot I posted that one.

Quick Reply: Do I have everything for a clutch swap?