Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pressure plate question for the clutch manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pressure plate question for the clutch manufacturers

Dumb question for the clutch guys on here. On a "push" type diaphragm pressure plate, what locates the pressure ring in the cover? It would be very important that is stays concentric with the centerline of the stamped cover for balance reasons, but I don't see where it pilots anywhere? How is this controlled? Is it just the drive straps, or???
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Teching In

No one?

I am guessing that the concentricity of the pressure ring to cover can only be controlled by the drive straps and the stamped holes in the cover. I wonder how well the position is controlled in the cover holes, and whether the straps allow the pressure ring to move around at all. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I've noticed that some pressure plate manufacturers balance the whole assembly with weight added to the cover. Others only balance the pressure ring casting before it is assembled to the cover. In this case, I wonder if the assembly is really balanced, given the potential positional variation of the casting relative to cover stamping?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Image #1 should clear it up...

http://www.google.com/patents/US5884741

Andrew
Old 04-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Image #1 should clear it up...

http://www.google.com/patents/US5884741

Andrew
Not at all. Although that is a diaphragm clutch illustration, it looks nothing like the construction of a typical GM clutch pressure plate. Look at the illustration here at the top of page 3.

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...E_Lo_us_us.pdf

The three rivets connecting the cast pressure ring to the drive straps are the only physical connection between the stamped clutch cover and the casting. Remove those rivets and the casting can float around in the cover from what I can see. I am stuggling to understand how they control concentricity of these two components with just the drive straps.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

without having one to look at first hand, my guess would be it's a circle within a circle. the pressure ring with the fingers shown as #3 on top of page 3 of your schaeffler link, see how that finger piece marked #3 has material that forms within the outer portion of the assembly but is still within the drive strap marked #5... it's the piece that isn't marked but has the black line going over it for #4 that points to the pivot ring. so you have a circle within a circle, and i wouldn't go by that drawing for dimensions but would venture a guess saying the fit is tight to where it doesn't move around, and all you would need is a few rivets to keep things contained prior to it bolted against the flywheel. it's hard to tell from that picture but it is a 2-d drawing with only X and Y dimensions, there is no Z dimension shown. if there were i'd bet there's a ridge in the pressure plate cover that locates the diaphragm spring/finger piece and keeps it centered.

Quick Reply: Pressure plate question for the clutch manufacturers