Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

re install clutch, bad slip issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default re install clutch, bad slip issues

few things first, this is a Monster level 2 twin disc (or as they call now there race twin disc 8.5in), that being said this has nothing to do with the clutch being a bad clutch or monster or etc, first engine it was in for a good 1-1.5 years and was amazing. as of last year engine blew and its all been down and disassembled in the garage till recently, i went to install the clutch (for the 3rd time) and my roommate was o so helpful and moved some stuff and put my bag of oily rocker arms on my clean wrapped and organized clutch assembly and i believe some oil got onto it, that being said, i brake cleaned the **** out of everything and it all seemed good, installed it on new motor and took the car out, everything felt fine, did some logs etc, when i went into boost in 3rd it slipped, went back dropped tranny and pulled it out and it was oily and dark/glazed, i boiled the friction plates and metal plates in dawn probably 6-8 times each 30 mins each till it got clean, a TON of oil came out of some of the metal parts and one friction plate, i wire wheeled and wiped the fly wheel down with 01% rubbing alcohol as it never left the engine, after that i took it to work sand/media blasted the the metal parts to "resurface them" and then VERY lightly and in spurts hit the friction material, they went back to the tan ish color and seemed fine, no chunks missing etc. anyway put it back in car and drove it to work gently as i wanted to put 200 break in miles on it, well on lunch i could barley accelerate in 3rd at 2k and it would start to slip really bad so its even worse then before or when its hot. i took truck back to work and plan to do a block around the neighbor hood with it and see if it gets better easily driving it before i tear it down again.

i plan on getting in touch with monster monday when there open to see if i can get a rebuild kit for this clutch but before then.

do you all feel this clutch is done at this point? is there anything else i can try to see if it helps? only reason i did the boiling/blasting step is i knew the pieces i was doing it too where already toast from being soaked in oil.

thoughts and opinions?

engine is an lq4 with studs, ls9 gaskets blower cam and 12psi so should only be at 550-600rwhp

Quick Reply: re install clutch, bad slip issues